Pink Floyd Online Forums

Full Version: Album Rankings - How do you rank Floyd?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Animals
2. The Dark Side Of The Moon
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Meddle
5. The Wall
6. Obscured By Clouds
7. The Final Cut
8. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
9. Atom Heart Mother
10. The Division Bell
12. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
13. A Saucerful of Secrets
14. More
15. Ummagumma
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and to the Pink Floyd's world.
Judging from the songs I've heard thus far my favourite ones come from the albums "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" (Sorrow , Learning To Fly), "The Division Bell" (High Hopes , Keep Talking) "The Wall" (Hey You) and "Meddle" (One Of These Days)...

I hope to discover them more.
Time for my updated list..again..deal with it

1. The Wall/Animals
2. The Final Cut
3. Wish You Were Here
4. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
5. A Saucerful of Secrets

the rest
High*hopeS Wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm new here and to the Pink Floyd's world.
Judging from the songs I've heard thus far my favourite ones come from the albums "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" (Sorrow , Learning To Fly), "The Division Bell" (High Hopes , Keep Talking) "The Wall" (Hey You) and "Meddle" (One Of These Days)...

I hope to discover them more.
Excellent.

Welcome.
Hey, i'm somewhat of a newbie Floyd fan, I first starting really listneing to them over the summer with The Wall and Dark Side (which I was already very familiar with and was one of my favorite albums). So far, the only albums I've listened to so far in their entirety are Piper, Saucerful, Dark Side, Wish, Animals, and Wall.... and bits and pieces of some of their other albums. I've not let listened to Ummagumma, Atom Heart, More, Obscured, or either post-Waters album. Based on what I've heard, I can say this is my current Floyd album ranking.

1) The Wall - probably still my favorite. Brilliant from start to finish, only the 2nd side of Side One sticking out as maybe not as good as the rest, but who's complaining once "Hey You" starts out. From there on, it's 40 minutes of some of the greatest music ever recorded.

2) The Dark Side Of The Moon - a very, very close second. I think it's flows better than any other album ever put together. Truely does seem like one long piece of music. I love this album, and is quite possibly the best album ever.

3) Wish You Were Here - If the second part of Shine was as good as the first, this might be numero uno. The first part is probably my favorite Floyd song.

4) A Saucerful Of Secrets - Highly underrated IMO. Remember A Day and Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun are awesome, and Jughand Blues is a sad farewell to Syd. I like how they seem to be stuck in between the Floyd of the 70s and the Floyd of the 60s, and the mix is great.

5) The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - I would love to be inside Syd's head when he's putting this album together. Disturbingly insane at times, mellow and beautiful at others. Astronomy Domine is a beast. So intense it's almost mind-bending. Bike, I can't help but bob my head and laugh.

6) Animals - Decent, but incredibly overrated IMO. If they had made several shorter songs, I'd enjoy the concept more, but I don't think there's enough there to justify the length of the songs. It's not like Floyd hadn't pulled it off. Echoes hits 23 mintues and it's brilliant every second. There are parts of Dogs where it just seems like nothing is going on, some very boring parts. Sheep is my favorite here. Good, but not great.
brilliant first post...welcome to the forum, please stop by The "This site and forum" section and say hello in the welcome thread...have a great time here!
c
SilverEclipse Wrote:6) Animals - Decent, but incredibly overrated IMO. If they had made several shorter songs, I'd enjoy the concept more, but I don't think there's enough there to justify the length of the songs. It's not like Floyd hadn't pulled it off. Echoes hits 23 mintues and it's brilliant every second. There are parts of Dogs where it just seems like nothing is going on, some very boring parts. Sheep is my favorite here. Good, but not great.
You fail...btw welcome to the board.

Animals WILL grow on you when you listen to it a lot.
This is another hard listing one! From 15 (least favourite) to 1 (ultimate):

15) Ummagumma
14) More
13) Saucerful Of Secrets
12) Atom Heart Mother
11) The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
10) Momentary Lapse Of Reason
9) Relics
8) The Division Bell
7) Wish You Were Here
6) Obscured By Clouds
5) Animals
4) Meddle
3) The Final Cut
2) The Wall
1) The Drak Side Of The Moon

Again, very impossible. The top three were very hard to chose.
Racso Wrote:I havent got More, Ummagumma and The Final Cut. And I dont rate Pulse and Echoes.
You're missing a treat with The Final Cut.
Reference URL's