Pink Floyd Online Forums
Les Paul's - Overreated? - Printable Version

+- Pink Floyd Online Forums (http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Other Stuff (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Musicians and Instruments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Les Paul's - Overreated? (/showthread.php?tid=2811)

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-08-2005 04:21 PM

lots of famous rockers / guitarists have a big liking for lespauls. at some point could they be overrated and liked for looks or are they really as good as there worth and liked for?

- Philintheflesh - 10-08-2005 04:29 PM

All personal taste, but I don`t think they`re overrated. The sound they produce is superb.
- Joe Perry agrees with me. rocker

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-08-2005 04:31 PM

Yay for Joe Perry
finally someone to appreciate him..
anywho i guess your right. personal taste would be it but ive just never had time to really hear them by myself

- Philintheflesh - 10-08-2005 04:39 PM

They produce a nice fat sound - perfect for rock, I`d say. More so than maybe a Fender Stratocaster.
Alex Lifeson has said (although he uses loads of different guitars nowadays) that Les Pauls still have the edge over all the other newer guitars he owns (soundwise, at least), - I know you`re a RUSH fan too S.H.E.E.P.

- wiez - 10-08-2005 04:42 PM

Are Les Pauls good starter guitars? My daughters father offered to buy her one but she turned him down.

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-08-2005 04:48 PM

there really friggen expensive!!
and a lot of the pros use them so its probaly not the best starter.
maybe a strat rep is the best to start off with or whichever rep.
but then again there is no real starter guitar i mean i would have wanted to start out on a les paul

- wiez - 10-08-2005 04:50 PM

Well, she doesn't want a Fender either. She would like a Gibson but they are expensive. What do you mean by rep? Could you please explain?

- Philintheflesh - 10-08-2005 04:51 PM

wiez Wrote:Are Les Pauls good starter guitars? My daughters father offered to buy her one but she turned him down.
She should have accepted - as they`re quite expensive.
But they are very heavy (in weight, I mean) - so that could be a problem-(depending on how strong your daughter is).
-Fenders are a lot lighter.
Again, all personal taste.

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-08-2005 04:51 PM

i mean a replica like a stratocaster replica (copy)
you know?
anyway like i said there isnt really a starter guitar . whatever she likes is what she should get or whatever feels the best

- Philintheflesh - 10-08-2005 04:57 PM

She wants a Gibson? How about a "semi-solid" one?
It would be lighter than a Les Paul, plus it would sound better
un-amplified too (being hollow).
Maybe a Gibson ES-335? (as used by Chuck Berry, B.B.King, Eric Clapton, amongst others) - with the "f"-holes .

Edited By Philintheflesh on 1128819721

- wiez - 10-08-2005 05:01 PM

Thank you all for the advise. I have always felt that she should be able to show me what she can do on an inexpensive guitar first, but I guess that isn't correct thinking.

Another thing she is always complaining about is that she feels she can't tune her guitar properly. Any advise?

Her father is the musician. I am not. Nor am I privy to their conversations. All I know is that he offered and seemed to understand what she was talking about. It might be up to me now to purchase the guitar.

Edited By wiez on 1128819908

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-08-2005 05:03 PM

with an inexpensive guitar its not like its gonna sound like crap.
just it wont be as good as a les paul persay
but if you dont know a lot about guitar or you dont play a lot you probably wont notice a difference anyway

- Philintheflesh - 10-08-2005 05:05 PM

Yes, that sounds correct thinking to me.
Don`t go too cheap, though - it might put her off!!
I understand you don`t want to buy an expensive one, if she`s going to get bored and give up.

Edited By Philintheflesh on 1128852620

- Philintheflesh - 10-08-2005 05:08 PM

Re tuning - some cheaper guitars can go "out of tune" quickly - but you don`t have to pay the earth for one that stays in tune.

- wiez - 10-08-2005 05:09 PM

Thank you again. I appreciate the advise. :)

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-08-2005 05:11 PM

Philintheflesh Wrote:Re tuning - some cheaper guitars can go "out of tune" quickly - but you don`t have to pay the earth for one that stays in tune.
or you could just get a locked in tuning devise at the top of the neck but that would be pointless on a cheap guitar

- Philintheflesh - 10-08-2005 05:25 PM

New strings go out of tune, of course, on any guitar, if they`re not "stretched-in" - as they`re not tight enough on the machine-heads, to begin with.
-You can manually stretch them in with your fingers, or just play them in.

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-08-2005 05:45 PM

yeah but in the end when they are tuned it would be handy

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-08-2005 05:59 PM

i love less pauls there so easy to play

- Delicate Sound - 10-08-2005 06:15 PM

Les Paul's are great guitars but it really depends on what your looking for and what you are trying to achieve.

I personally will take an American Strat over a Les Paul anyday! Sweeter tone and way more range, but that's just me!

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-08-2005 06:21 PM

ye i would choose a strat aswell

- Philintheflesh - 10-09-2005 02:15 AM

Heh, heh - I can feel the Strat v Les Paul argument that`s been raging for decades, starting up again. :D

- wiez - 10-09-2005 08:47 AM

I hope this isn't off topic, but she also complains about her fingers being "too thick". What does that mean? Her father has thicker fingers also but he plays well. So what is the complaint about? Her fingers aren't thick, just not thin. Any advise?

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 08:50 AM

well if there to thick it could be hard for her to stretch up like bar chords
and as much as it seems it would be easier its much harder
my dad has thick fingers and its hard for him to bar chords and stuff like that

- GRAPHITE_BLIMPS - 10-09-2005 08:53 AM

Delicate Sound Wrote:Les Paul's are great guitars but it really depends on what your looking for and what you are trying to achieve.

I personally will take an American Strat over a Les Paul anyday! Sweeter tone and way more range, but that's just me!
yeah id take a strat two, better for floyd songs.
but if i were to do blues id take a les paul first (or this nice steel tele at the mcc near me)

- wiez - 10-09-2005 08:54 AM

Thanks Sheep. She has her fathers fingers and he is a musician. How much of a challenge is it for her to overcome?

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 08:59 AM

uh im not exactly sure if this can be overcomed however if it can shes gonna have to practice like insanity :D

- GRAPHITE_BLIMPS - 10-09-2005 09:01 AM

S.H.E.E.P Wrote:uh im not exactly sure if this can be overcomed however if it can shes gonna have to practice like insanity :D
every good guitarist practices like insanity

*cough* not joey *cough* (inside joke)

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 09:04 AM

thats true
im mean shes gonna have to practice at trying to overcome whatever it is shes trying to with her thick fingers

haha joey!! 6 years and hes sux!

- wiez - 10-09-2005 09:07 AM

Just don't tell her she has thick fingers. Since I brought it up, can you guys give me some links to some bass quitars that she could start on? Since she turned down her fathers offer, I will probably have to get it for her. Thanks again guys.

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 09:08 AM

dude les pauls arnt bass guitars
or now are you looking for a bass now?

- wiez - 10-09-2005 09:18 AM

Her father offered to buy her a Les Paul. She turned him down. I was thinking of a bass.

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 09:19 AM

o gotcha
ill start looking right away

- wiez - 10-09-2005 09:19 AM

P.S. wiez is a mother, thus a female. :)

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 09:21 AM

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aatp031402.htm

if you look here you can find some top bass guitars for beginners

Edited By S.H.E.E.P on 1128878496

- wiez - 10-09-2005 09:28 AM

Thank you very much Sheep. :)

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 09:30 AM

your welcome :)

- wiez - 10-09-2005 11:32 AM

well, i spoke to her father. looks like its going to be an ibenez. thanks all.

Edited By wiez on 1128886403

- S.H.E.E.P - 10-09-2005 11:53 AM

ooo ibanez are sweet guitars im sure she'll enjoy that

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-09-2005 04:07 PM

have a look at the ibanez g10 there legendary guitars for beginners i love them

- wiez - 10-09-2005 04:10 PM

Hey, thank you pink1 :)

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-09-2005 04:18 PM

no problem

if u want a good cheap ibanez the gx125 is fantastic for its price

the g10 is more for passionate players it has a fatastic tone and the bridge is brilliant it has a locking tuning lock and its cheap aswell

- Delicate Sound - 10-09-2005 08:56 PM

GRAPHITE_BLIMPS Wrote:but if i were to do blues id take a les paul first (or this nice steel tele at the mcc near me)
Les Paul's are great for blues, but I've got an American Strat(with EMG's) and a 70's Strat and they are just perfect for when I play blues stuff! The tone is just f*ckin ridiculous and you can reach such high levels on solos(if you have a good amp of course)! A few years ago I was playin in this really old bar and on this solo I put a crack in the ceiling,it was insane!!

- Delicate Sound - 10-09-2005 09:17 PM

GRAPHITE_BLIMPS Wrote:yeah id take a strat two, better for floyd songs.
You got that right, waaaay better for Floyd songs! It's like impossible to get a nice Gilmour sound with a Les Paul and pretty much any guitar besides a Fender!

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-10-2005 10:42 AM

Delicate Sound Wrote:
GRAPHITE_BLIMPS Wrote:yeah id take a strat two, better for floyd songs.
You got that right, waaaay better for Floyd songs! It's like impossible to get a nice Gilmour sound with a Les Paul and pretty much any guitar besides a Fender!
funny that cos i cn get a sound closer to gilmour with a encore than with a fender

- Delicate Sound - 10-10-2005 01:22 PM

Maybe it has to do with your amp and your settings. Or it could be the Fender you were using.

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-10-2005 01:27 PM

Delicate Sound Wrote:Maybe it has to do with your amp and your settings. Or it could be the Fender you were using.
1. my amp and effects are exact to gilmourish.com
2.i tried at least 4 of my guitars and the only 2nd one that came close was my telecaster the encore was in the lead but now i have found that i must set the tone controls to 7 and 9 and add a 50% more compression and hey presto they all sound the same

if u get a les paul u can get close to the gilmour in concert dvd but i can aslo get close to istaot cd live it doesnt matter wot guitar u use its the style of playing

- Delicate Sound - 10-10-2005 01:40 PM

True, but a good Fender makes it a lot easier and I've found that you don't need to use as many effects. I can get a great Gilmour sound with just my American Strat,Fender Amp, and Delay,maybe a little Compression!

If you can bend and add a light vibrato toward the end of the bend, you've pretty much got the Gilmour sound!

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-10-2005 01:42 PM

well i agree wen playing the division bell i just use my amp and add a bnlues crunch thru the distortion setting and walla ive got cluster one

- Delicate Sound - 10-10-2005 01:51 PM

EMG's help a lot too but you can do a lot without them. I just use them because they make your tone much better and they give you that edge. Plus, you can do a lot of very interesting non-gilmour stuff with them.

- pinkfloydfan1 - 10-11-2005 12:33 AM

Delicate Sound Wrote:EMG's help a lot too but you can do a lot without them. I just use them because they make your tone much better and they give you that edge. Plus, you can do a lot of very interesting non-gilmour stuff with them.
now i disagree with that the emgs dont make a diffrence anyway atall just means you can control feedback alot easier