Pink Floyd & Dr. Who - Another connection!
NPF Tribute Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

For those that saw last nights Dr Who did anyone spot the similarities with the gas masks fusing to the face and the ''frightened ones'' in Goodbye Blue Sky? Good to see Who and Floyd paths crossing again. If you didnt see the episode its repeated on BBC3 tonight at 7.00, good episode it is too, nice and spooky, like Who should be.
05-22-2005 01:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wiez Offline
Banned

We used to watch Dr Who around the same time "The Wall" came out in the early 80's. I haven't seen it played on American TV here in at least a decade. At one time I even wore a 'Who" scarf in the winter. Are they still making the series or is it just old reruns?
05-22-2005 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndersonCouncill Offline
Banned

Probably just old ones... I get to watch it every now and then on cable at my dads...
05-22-2005 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NPF Tribute Offline

Its a new series, the programme was cancelled in 1989 but came back this year after 16 year break, altho ther was a TV movie in 1996. Im a big fan of old Dr Who and the new update took a little getting used to at first but its been a pretty enjoyable series so far. I dont think theres a deal set to show it in the states yet but Im sure it'll be along soon, its worth watching, particularly this weeks, not just because of the Floyd connection but it brought back some of the great hide behind the sofa spookiness.
05-22-2005 08:43 AM
AndersonCouncill Offline
Banned

How does it compare to the original? Probably not well as few things on TV these days could compete with the original Dr. Who.
05-22-2005 08:47 AM
Julia Dream Offline
Meddle

yes, i did see that. i also find some of the guitar riffs in Pink Floyd's earlier work, like the guitar slides in Saucerful, Interstellar Overdrive and Julia Dream sounding very similar to the Doctor Who theme. when i first heard them i remarked that they sounded like Doctor Who...

as for comparison between Doctor Who today and original, i don't compare.
05-22-2005 09:54 AM
NPF Tribute Offline

Julia Dream Wrote:yes, i did see that. i also find some of the guitar riffs in Pink Floyd's earlier work, like the guitar slides in Saucerful, Interstellar Overdrive and Julia Dream sounding very similar to the Doctor Who theme. when i first heard them i remarked that they sounded like Doctor Who...
The obvious moment is in One Of These Days when the first melody of the Dr Who theme is played, particularly in live versions, theres also a brief reference to it in Sheep.

As for how the new series compares with the old series of Dr Who, Id say the original series by a mile, the stories were better paced, I kind of like the cheapness of it all but theres also that childhood nostalgia thing which has a tendency to throw any reasonable comparisom out the window.
05-22-2005 10:48 AM
rogadaire Offline

NPF Tribute Wrote:As for how the new series compares with the old series of Dr Who, Id say the original series by a mile, the stories were better paced, I kind of like the cheapness of it all but theres also that childhood nostalgia thing which has a tendency to throw any reasonable comparisom out the window.
I hope you will forgive me for saying so but you sound very much in the grip of 'childhood nostalgia' to me. Yes, there WERE some great episodes in the old Dr Who, but it was never as consistently well written, acted or produced as the current series is proving to be.

Don't get me wrong, Troughton, Pertwee and Tom Baker in particular were all truly great 'Dr Who's and each successfully updated the role (too young to really remember William Hartnell except as 'guesting' in later series!). The difference now is the writing is much sharper, the peripheral characters are better drawn and, whilst we already knew Christopher Eccleston to be one of the best actors around, Billie Piper has been given a role of real substance as his 'side-kick' Rose Tyler and has proved a revelation in the part.

Let's be honest, some of the best drama and sci-fi series in recent years have come from the US, and to succeed in 2005 Dr Who has to stand comparison with those programmes. It does, which is why right now Dr Who is probably the best thing on British TV. Wobbly sets, creaking scripts and amateurish effects are no longer an option. The only thing we have not seen - yet - is a new adversary to match the Doctor's greatest foes of the past. No matter, we have already seen an improved (and believable) dalek - now bring on the Cybermen in 2006!

Edited By rogadaire on 1116851059
05-23-2005 04:22 AM
wiez Offline
Banned

That might be true, however, we never missed a Dr Who episode. True, it was low budget, but that made it all the more redeaming. The actors performed as if they were on a million dollar set and that is what made it so very special. The child in us could still come out and play on the Tardis and with the good Dr. Great memories.
05-23-2005 12:55 PM
sea green queen Offline
Pink Floyd

I like the Dr.Who that came on PBS that was on 20 odd years ago, from the BBC network.

Voodoo Chile & pre-Stones Mick Taylor
http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/imag...b980px.jpg
Takin' 5 at the Monterey Pop Festival
http://rocksoff.org/brian57.jpg
05-24-2005 01:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kubrick/Floyd Connection DeRick 4 579 04-03-2012 10:47 AM
Last Post: cevor
  Pink Floyd rare and collectable signed poster for Pink Floyd lovers floyderson 2 4,870 06-01-2011 02:09 AM
Last Post: Joe
  Covers of Pink Floyd Songs - & Pink Floyd Tribute Bands! W1P 15 5,771 04-26-2009 01:12 PM
Last Post: Mr. Mojo Risin'
  Pink Floyd connection - Connection I found in a trailer Flemfloyd 15 1,155 08-27-2006 05:15 AM
Last Post: Relic
  Covers of Pink Floyd Songs - And Pink Floyd Tribute Albums W1P 0 1,254 09-20-2004 10:19 PM
Last Post: W1P