how to get somewhere close to Gilmour's tone?????
PaulM Offline
Ummagumma

RE: how to get somewhere close to Gilmour's tone?????
pinkfloydfan1 Wrote:Lol the best advice i could ever gig someone is dont read The Black Strat its filled with errors.

Not to call you out or anything, but WHAT?? Filled with errors? How so?

Phil Taylor has been PF's guitar tech since 1974, right? Wouldn't he know? One would think he'd be the definitive source for any information about Dave's rigs.

Don't tell me there's no hope at all,
Together we stand, divided we fall.
07-25-2008 07:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Parsifal Offline
Animals

PaulM Wrote:Not to call you out or anything, but WHAT?? Filled with errors? How so?

Phil Taylor has been PF's guitar tech since 1974, right? Wouldn't he know? One would think he'd be the definitive source for any information about Dave's rigs.

Not to question your use of the phrase or anything, but why do you say "not to call you out or anything" and then call him out?

Nintendo card
07-25-2008 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PaulM Offline
Ummagumma

Robosteve Wrote:Not to question your use of the phrase or anything, but why do you say "not to call you out or anything" and then call him out?

Why do you wish to question my phrasing? Have you anything to contribute to this thread?

My point is that I am not calling him a liar ("calling him out"), just wondering what he meant by "filled with errors". Asking someone to clarify a point does not constitute "calling out".

Clear now?

07-25-2008 08:10 AM
pinkfloydfan1 Offline
Division Bell

PaulM Wrote:
Robosteve Wrote:Not to question your use of the phrase or anything, but why do you say "not to call you out or anything" and then call him out?

Why do you wish to question my phrasing? Have you anything to contribute to this thread?

My point is that I am not calling him a liar ("calling him out"), just wondering what he meant by "filled with errors". Asking someone to clarify a point does not constitute "calling out".

Clear now?

Well i might have exagerated but its only minor flaws.
But for me if it isnt 100 accurate i wont class it as good.

On page 18 and 23 there are two pictures of David without any text but they appear to be from the Bath Festival in June 1970. However, these are both from Sydney, Australia August 15. 1970, which is described on page 32. The show was filmed and aired in the program "Get to Know". David is seen using both a Binson II and a Binson PE, which he didn't do again until 1975.

On page 26 there's a picture of Pink Floyd performing Atom Heart with a brass and choir section. David is seen with the brown Telecaster. The picture is dated Lyon, France June 1970. This is wrong. The picture is from Lyon France June 12 1971 and it's an interesting shot of David's typical 1971 rig with the HH IC-100 solid state amp and the Leslie 147.

On page 55 there's a spread of Pink Floyd without text but it's indicated that this is from Hollywood bowl or generally from the 1972 tour. I'm not too sure where the picture is from, but you can see Dave's pedal board but no circular screen, which indicates that the picture is from 1973.

Worth mentioning? Probably not... but I couldn't resist

An example...Phil clearly states that the guitar has the original Pots (Two of them) and the Neck and Middle pickups are original....however, the pot dates date to 1972 while the pickups also date to 1972....so I ask you was Fender that good to put 1972 electronics on a 1970-71 guitar?

[Image: jedi.jpg]
07-25-2008 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PaulM Offline
Ummagumma

pinkfloydfan1 Wrote:[An example...Phil clearly states that the guitar has the original Pots (Two of them) and the Neck and Middle pickups are original....however, the pot dates date to 1972 while the pickups also date to 1972....so I ask you was Fender that good to put 1972 electronics on a 1970-71 guitar?
Okay, so there may have been some editing flaws (hell, I have pictures from stuff I did in the '70s that I don't remember doing, and I wasn't in a psychedelic rock band), but Phil became the guitar tech in '74, so maybe he meant they were "original" because they already on the guitar... maybe?

Question: Was Dave getting his guitars custom-made at this time? Maybe he had them put on at manufacture rather than go with stock?

Okay, I got nothin'.

Still, though, the Big Picture is that Pinkman07 may be well-served by the book in that he can see what Dave himself uses to get that distinctive "Gilmour" sound.

Some of the gutarists in the tribute bands who frequent this site may be able to add some advice - what does Childhood's End or Aussie Floyd use?

07-25-2008 10:09 AM
pinkfloydfan1 Offline
Division Bell

Fair Enough I Guess

Id rather research for myself what the big man himself uses hence why ive been doing that for the last 6 years.

A good starting point is Gilmourish and i will give it a good thumbs up however i find that i used that as aguide to getting to know the pedals rather than rely on the actuall settings that Bjorn suggests we use.

As for Aussie floyd i did a article on Steve Mac.

http://www.notaussiefloyd.com/forum/inde...642.0.html

[Image: jedi.jpg]
07-25-2008 11:05 AM
paparazzi! Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

The only way I can play floyd is using my own solo....I can stay in the key, but just doing it my way. I will say david got me into Blues, and Jazz more.
10-11-2008 07:50 PM
Silver Diamonds Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Alot of it is practicing and developing your ear to listen to the sound that's coming out of the speakers of your amp. I've found that Davids approach to playing the guitar is more on the lines of singing with the guitar than just using impressive scales and speed. Listen to your sound. Experiment with the knobs on your effects. And have patiences. If you can't get something right today, leave it for tomorrow.
As far as strats. All strats have a flaw in them. They are not like Les Pauls. Les Pauls are built to give you more accuracy and a few selected tones. They are great guitars. But Strats offer a wider variety of tones but are harder to work with it. It all depends on what you're looking for and what makes you comfortable. All string instruments will never be 100% perfect. You'll always have to maintain them from time to time. I would say strats need more maintaining than Les Pauls. I know because I own both. I love both of them for what they have to offer depending on what style of music I'm going to play. : )
10-23-2008 06:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  David's Tone... Floydfan91 1 517 08-25-2009 02:18 PM
Last Post: pinkfloydfan1
  does anyone in this forum love gilmours pulse tone and delicate sound tone jamieluvfloyd23 3 729 08-16-2009 05:42 PM
  Lead Tone Asherman 8 1,299 11-16-2007 05:14 AM
  Guitar Tone for Pigs - Line 6 POD XT Live Evander 3 1,503 04-15-2007 01:53 AM
Last Post: Comfortably Daniel
  question on tone (related to fat old suovern solo) nushky 7 754 01-26-2006 05:49 PM
Last Post: MrBanjo