How to sound like David Gilmour?
foliocb Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

How to sound like David Gilmour?
Hi everyone,

Obviously, to be able to sound like David, it would take years of extensive playing, as well as david's ability to project his soul into each note... That isn't exactly what I meant by this post.

Moreso, David's guitar tone in his songs. I am looking to buy a board, but not sure which one would be the best, as I have heard many recommendations on different boards. Ive seen some were good for the studio, and crappy live, and vice versa.

Which board would be best for studio, and also live? Obviously, I am not looking for the most expensive board as I wouldn't be able to afford it, but would still like an idea on what is 'the best fir the buck' board I could get my hands on. Then of course, I'd need a better guitar since I only have a standard strat right now... but I think I should focus on getting a board right now and setting up a small studio with this computer that i'm about to replace for school.

Thanks for any help! hammers
08-09-2009 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr. Mojo Risin' Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

RE: How to sound like David Gilmour?
pinkfloydfan1 should be able to advise you best than anyone else, why don't you try PMing him? Smile
08-09-2009 04:25 PM
only floyd Offline
Wish You Were Here

Mr. Mojo Risin Wrote:pinkfloydfan1 should be able to advise you best than anyone else, why don't you try PMing him? Smile

No he's not, my knowledge is far superior, look at the guitar I am using at present....
[Image: 06199.jpg]
08-09-2009 10:12 PM
trevrok Offline

I don't think you should go out and buy a pedal board, but build your own piece by piece, get a pedal or two and work with them until you've mastered them and know how to use them, then throw in more. If you get all the pedals at once on a board and don't know how to use them you'll end up with a jumbled mess of sound.

Check out http://www.gilmourish.com the best sight I know of for help trying to reach a Gilmour tone
08-10-2009 06:03 AM
cevor Offline
Tarantula's Webmate.
Super Moderators

only floyd Wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin Wrote:pinkfloydfan1 should be able to advise you best than anyone else, why don't you try PMing him? Smile

No he's not, my knowledge is far superior, look at the guitar I am using at present....

FTW!!!!

And now the final solution can be applied.
http://www.childhoodsend.net
http://www.themohocollective.com
http://www.markdoyleandthemaniacs.com
http://www.britfloyd.com
http://www.sublunarstudios.com
08-10-2009 09:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Antwan the Swan Offline
Banned

only floyd Wrote:

Tough to beat man rocker
08-10-2009 09:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
foliocb Offline

Wouldnt it be cheaper to just get a board, with the same, if not better results(as im sure a board could produce more effects then 5 seperate pedals)?

I have very good computer knowledge so i'm sure id be able to figure the board out, plus my guitar teacher has toured for many years and would be able to help me learn and set it up. But im just curious what's the best one for sounding like the one and only DG...

Ive read around now and it seems the Boss Gt10 is the best? Or no?
08-10-2009 11:25 AM
foliocb Offline

gt 8 sorry
08-10-2009 12:32 PM
pinkfloydfan1 Offline
Division Bell

It all depends on what you go for i use a boss gt 8 myself because i dont like the odea of buying so many sperate pedals to gain one tone ... many years ago i experimented with this until i found boss multiefects i used the boss me 50 at first and then later discovered the gt series and out of all of the multieffects pedals i have found the boss gt 8 is the only multi effects pedal that doesnt sound digital as compared to the newer and some of the older models.

the gt 6 is a close second but the gt 8 is deffinately the way forward in terms of multieffects

single pedals well thats a tough one as you havent specifeid what tone you are actually looking for

the basis of davids board from the 70s was simply
Fuzz
Delay
Volume Pedal

The later boards adding boosters univibe and experimenting with all whilst still trying to maintain that signature sound.

if you let me know exactly what periods and tone you are aiming for i will be able to help you better, but if you are looking for a relatively cheap multieffects pedal to cover all areas superbly i must add(it doesnt happe straight away it took me a while to get my head round it) then id deffinately reccomend the gt 8.. the gt 10 is too digital and some of its features lack alot of charecter.

*apoligies for spelling mistakes im on my mobile phone at present*
08-11-2009 07:33 AM
foliocb Offline

Thanks so much for the info!

I am basically looking for these tones:

DSOTM: Time, Money, etc.

The Wall: Comfortably Numb solos(Pulse version, one day!!), ABITW solo, Run Like Hell

DG: Solo(s) from 'On an Island', the song not the album.

I am pretty confident that I will be purchasing this GT-8 very soon now after researching it. Think you can help me tweak the board to get these sounds?
08-13-2009 12:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "In The Flesh?" plane crash sound ju_zeppelin 1 1,164 09-24-2012 04:04 AM
Last Post: Greedo
  Sound like Gilmour... on a budget. I have become Comfortably Numb 5 1,718 07-16-2012 02:03 PM
Last Post: pinkfloydfan1
  Mr Wright's Gritty Organ Sound jumbojock 3 1,686 01-07-2010 11:09 AM
Last Post: DrKole
  Ghs Boomers Release David Gilmour Sig Strings pinkfloydfan1 15 7,089 06-13-2009 11:46 PM
Last Post: JudgeWorm94
  David Gilmour Gear:Which Pickups over the years ? - Dimarzio FS-1's ? Black Strat ? The Carrier 9 2,256 05-08-2009 07:23 PM
Last Post: JudgeWorm94