Need a suggestion - Best pre-Meddle album?
Miss Sassy-Frassy Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

I want to get some of Pink Floyd's earlier albums, but I don't know much about them.

The earliest I have are Meddle and Ummagumma, and nothing by Syd except for what is on Echoes...

So....any help (please!)?
01-07-2005 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
carefulwiththataxeEugene Offline
Animals

The best pre-Meddle album, indeed (in my opinion), the best Floyd album is A Saucerful of Secrets. The reason I think it is so great (besides the high quality of the songs) is that it is arguably the most diverse in terms of contributions from the band; three from Roger, two from Rick, one from Syd, and one band number (the title track). It could also be termed the one "true" Floyd album, the one with all five members (although Syd's presence was increasingly metaphorical); and Syd's "Jugband Blues" is, simply, brilliant. This is the last album that Rick really made a major contribution in terms of songwriting.

If you're hankering for Syd's glory days, then Piper at the Gates of Dawn is a must-have. This album is the exact opposite of "Jugband Blues;" it showcases Syd's brilliance in a collection of jaunty (if blatantly 60s) tunes (as well as two space jams and one Roger piece). Syd's stuff is just...amazing; you might not even recognize it as Pink Floyd, because they certainly deviated from Syd once he went off.

But I can't say I wouldn't recommend Atom Heart Mother; the title track is 23 minutes of brilliance (though not as brilliant as Echoes), and the tracks on the other side are kind of like Ummagumma (in that one is by Roger, one by Rick, and one by Dave). Rick's "Summer 68" alone makes this album a must for any Floyd fan. Roger and Dave's contributions are a little subpar (in my opinion), but Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is a nice little piece (not little in terms of time, mind).

Depending on your definition of "early Floyd" (I guess it would be pre-Dark Side), then the two soundtracks are also great (Obscured by Clouds more so than More).

So, I guess I'm saying they're all great. But if you need a single answer, I would recommend them in the following order:

A Saucerful of Secrets
Obscured by Clouds
Atom Heart Mother
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
More

So there you are. Hope that helps.

If it ain't dirty, don't clean it.
01-07-2005 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sea green queen Offline
Pink Floyd

PATGOD is a must have, as Careful said the music changed, Saucerful is great also, as is Relics....

Voodoo Chile & pre-Stones Mick Taylor
http://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/imag...b980px.jpg
Takin' 5 at the Monterey Pop Festival
http://rocksoff.org/brian57.jpg
01-07-2005 04:08 PM
Kimbers Sheep Offline
Sheep Rule
Super Moderators

Eugene could not possibly have summed up my feelings any better in his descriptions, as far as opinion, I would go:

Piper
More
A Saucerful of Secrets
Obscured by Clouds
Atom Heart Mother

but that also changes sometimes, lol

Ice Cream Tastes Good in the Afternoon...
01-08-2005 12:55 AM
1967 Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

The first two albums are IMHO opinion the best two. So get those.
01-08-2005 03:51 AM
Lumiere Offline
Relics

Get Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and MORE.
01-08-2005 04:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Echoes-Meddle/Pompeii Style greenandsubmarine 0 585 09-17-2012 12:03 PM
Last Post: greenandsubmarine
  Meddle Immersion Box DeRick 3 1,499 09-16-2012 08:39 PM
Last Post: greenandsubmarine
Smile 40 anniversary of meddle today Guitarist5260 9 1,939 10-31-2011 11:34 AM
Last Post: Joe
  The Wall or Meddle - Which Deserves a rank in the Big 4 Grguitarfreek100 68 8,628 06-09-2011 10:59 AM
Last Post: Joe
  best song in meddle besides echoes russian 15 2,163 06-09-2011 10:27 AM
Last Post: TilenHrovatic