Best Front Cover? - The best PF album front covers and why
MY FAVOURITE COVERS ARE MOMONTARY LAPSE, WISH YOU WERE HERE AND DARK SIDE. I THINK DARK IS THE BEST, JUST FOR ITS SIMPLICITY. LED ZEP 3 HOWEVER IS QUITE NICE :D
Yes, Led Zeppellin III is a great cover - looks more Floyd than Zep. Could have been a PF cover almost. Zep covers are usually drab designs.

I never liked the front cover of WYWH, as I said above, but it has one of the best back covers. Mometary Lapse is a good cover, but I still think Divison Bell is the best of the more recent ones.

Dark Side... the ultimate rock album symbol - nothing one can really say about the legendary cover.

Early albums: Saucerful..., Obscured..., Meddle - I liked the avant garde art style that they used for a while before the covers started to become more object based from Dark Side onwards. It seems they started a new era for cover art when they started a new era musically. A good policy.
nah - the Zep had good covers - Physical Graffitti err... yeah, maybe they were shit. They got better as their music got worse (Presence / In through the out door) . i like all their work though. By the way - 2day i went to the dentists expecting a routine check up - next thing i knew i had a fucking needle coming out my mouth and couldn't feel a thing. I was comfortably numb. unplaesant
Makes sense about the Zeppelin covers. Floyd always had the best album covers in the world, generally, speaking, I think. Though the Andy Warhol banana sleeve for the Velvet Underground & Nico's self-titled debut album gives Thorgerson & Co a run for their money. Warhol also did a cover for the Stones Sticky Fingers, didn't he? With a zip? Like the banana sleeve for the VU originally had a zip to peel the banana skin. They've just released a new special edition of it on CD that does. Even PF never went that far!
warhol did a few album covers - you're right about Sticky Fingers having a real zip. he also made covers for John Cale, Diana Ross, most of the Smith's covers. All good stuff and the guy was talented - but i don't think his style would have suited the Floyd
Wow, he did the Smiths' covers? Had no idea. They don't look they were done by a far out pop artist. I love his work. No, he almost certainly wasn't right for PF. I wouldn't change most of their album covers at all. They are mostly quite brilliant. The same goes for the music within.
if yopu think about the smiths covers - they seem very warhol
All the Smiths album covers are photos - I don't think of Warhol where photography is concerned. His reputation is for drawing and painting, film-making and album production.
the guy tried everything
simps Wrote:That's great to have both, Jintzey. I would love to have a turntable so I could start collecting PF on vinyl as well. Better sound and larger covers so the artwork can really be appreciated. You said about your special blue vinyl Divison Bell. How does one get hold of things like that? Expensive?
I got a sealed copy of the blue The Division Bell LP through Amazon's zShops. I paid about $40 for it.
PinkFloydChat.net
If you've studied your Floyd properly, you'd know that pigs could fly. -- Les Claypool
~ Pigs HAVE Flown ~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Least Favorite Album Cover? FrowningBanana 29 4,584 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Last Post: artisan121
  Help with album cover Krol 5 891 03-18-2014, 04:31 AM
Last Post: Krol
  Favorite album cover any_colour_you_like 227 21,420 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: artisan121
  Hidden image on A Saucerful of Secrets album cover? Jack Wolf 6 3,909 06-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Man_On_Fire
  Your no.1 favourite album cover........difficult to choose, I know. Sun Controller 40 9,902 06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Last Post: quicksilver