Best Front Cover? - The best PF album front covers and why
simps Offline
Division Bell

But what is the most basic society if not the intermingling of psychological entities (people) seeking company? It's surely OK to talk of the wall as psychological or social provided it's just a quick sweeping statement you are making and not a doctorate thesis on it!
07-29-2002 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wowser Offline
Pink Floyd

let's face it - aln was right
07-29-2002 03:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jintzey Offline
Pigs Have Flown
Administrators

It's social psychology

PinkFloydChat.net
If you've studied your Floyd properly, you'd know that pigs could fly. -- Les Claypool
~ Pigs HAVE Flown ~
07-29-2002 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simps Offline
Division Bell

Jintzey knows these things well. "Social psychology". Couldn't quite think of exactly the right phrase myself but she hit the nail on the head as usual. Welcome back to Jintzey. The forum has missed her.
07-29-2002 04:00 PM
wowser Offline
Pink Floyd

fine, that sounds about right. i did an A level in it :upside:
07-29-2002 04:05 PM
simps Offline
Division Bell

Cool. My sister does A-Level psychology and wants to do a degree in it.
07-29-2002 04:07 PM
Jintzey Offline
Pigs Have Flown
Administrators

Of course I know it well, I have a degree in it. :;):

What does "A-level" mean? Is that like intro? That's cool that your sister wants to study psychology. It's a very interesting field.

PinkFloydChat.net
If you've studied your Floyd properly, you'd know that pigs could fly. -- Les Claypool
~ Pigs HAVE Flown ~
07-29-2002 04:27 PM
simps Offline
Division Bell

A-Level means Advanced Level, as these are the exams taken aged 18 by those who did well in O-(for "Ordinary") Level exams 2 years earlier. Though O-Levels changed their name to GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education) more than 15 years ago, the name A-Level remained. A-Levels are the most common route into university.

Edited By simps on 1027989628
07-29-2002 04:33 PM
Jintzey Offline
Pigs Have Flown
Administrators

Hmm, we don't have anything like that in America.

PinkFloydChat.net
~ Pigs HAVE Flown ~
07-29-2002 04:36 PM
Jintzey Offline
Pigs Have Flown
Administrators

simps Wrote:What's a linear-tracking turntable, Jintzey? Are they better/more expensive?

Good news about vinyls returning. Should be possible to find all PF's albums on vinyl somewhere, shouldn't it?

A linear-tracking turntable has a tonearm that tracks in a straight line along one side of the turntable as the needle moves along the grooves of the record towards the center, as opposed to having a tonearm that pivots from the corner and swings around as it moves along the record towards the center. Linear-tracking turntables are nice because you can program in different tracks to play in any order and skip around much like a CD player since the tonearm operates with a motor along a straight track so it can move wherever you program it to move. The nicer ones can actually scan the record and "see" where the blank spaces are, which is where it assumes the tracks begin and end. However, as is very common with many PF albums, not all tracks have blank spaces between them, and some tracks have short blank spaces within a song, so you would have to physically place the tonearm on each track and then program in that there is a track in that spot. Features and functions differ from model to model however. Most offer at least some track presets much like radio station presets on a radio with an analog tuning dial, where each button is set on a position of the track (the linear track that the tonearm moves along) rather than a digital frequency (radio) or time/track stamp (cd player) of digital devices, so that when you push the button for that preset, the arm will move to that position. The more programmable turntables will automate this process and push the presets itself in the order that you program it to play in ahead of time, thereby simulating a programmable CD player.

But forget about linear-tracking, how about a Laser Turntable! www.laserturntable.com (cheapest one now on sale for ONLY $9,500 down from $13,500! :-/ ).

Yes, it is possible to find all PF albums on vinyl somewhere. I've managed to nab practically every PF album on LP from Ebay, online stores, or used record stores. Most of them are used but I have managed to get a few sealed and untouched. Well apparently PF has not given up on the medium since they released "Echoes: The Best of..." on vinyl (limited edition), which I bought, and is very nice I might add. There is not one album that I am aware of that isn't available on vinyl, old or new (even the live albums such as "Pulse" and "Delicate Sound of Thunder" are on vinyl), so apparently PF has always used (and always will) vinyl for their albums.

Edited By Jintzey on 1027995163

PinkFloydChat.net
~ Pigs HAVE Flown ~
07-29-2002 05:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help with album cover Krol 5 117 03-18-2014 04:31 AM
Last Post: Krol
  Least Favorite Album Cover? FrowningBanana 24 771 02-20-2014 10:24 PM
Last Post: artisan121
  Favorite album cover any_colour_you_like 227 13,485 02-20-2014 08:52 AM
Last Post: artisan121
  Hidden image on A Saucerful of Secrets album cover? Jack Wolf 6 2,692 06-02-2013 07:06 AM
Last Post: Man_On_Fire
  Your no.1 favourite album cover........difficult to choose, I know. Sun Controller 40 8,169 06-21-2012 05:52 AM
Last Post: quicksilver