ambassador of MOURNING?
arnoldlayne20 Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

ambassador of MOURNING?
i have created this thread today in the hope of venting some sadness and to hear from others who feel the same.
its been more than 2 months since Rick passed away, and there's not a week (if i said day i might be exagurating) that i dont think of him still.
it is so sad. does anyone still feel the same? I know i didnt know him or what he was really like, but he just seemed like a beautiful person, one that I could never conjure up in my deepest imagination. i cant stop listening to soothing, ethereal melodies echoes and us and them... i just love what he did and am so sad it had to end at 65.
anyone else?
11-28-2008 04:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wings on the Pig Offline
Pink Floyd

RE: ambassador of MOURNING?
I swear you've posted this before? Unsure

Anyway, yes I do think of him all of the time, and wish that him and David could have played more beautiful music together, but in the end I am grateful for what he did achieve in his lifetime - his achivements can be matched by very few people.
11-28-2008 04:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
I Am Lono Offline
Ummagumma

I think the descriptions of him by Gilmour and the others are pretty accurate.....soft-spoken, gentle, and of course talented.....
11-28-2008 06:56 AM
only floyd Offline
Wish You Were Here

Sad thing for me is that I give him more credit now than I should have done before, and I actually listen to some songs very differently nowSad
11-28-2008 03:41 PM
arnoldlayne20 Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

Wings on the Pig Wrote:I swear you've posted this before? Unsure

Anyway, yes I do think of him all of the time, and wish that him and David could have played more beautiful music together, but in the end I am grateful for what he did achieve in his lifetime - his achivements can be matched by very few people.

hey, yeah i did post it on the other one about Rick's passing but figured its a newish subject, dealing with the sadness later on.

And very true what you said, I'm not so sad that he died when i think of all the incredible things he did - if anything i think he would feel sorry for me, comparing the lives we've had lol. i know i'll never experience anything like performing echoes in pompeii - what he has done is magical, so all there is to be done by us is to be grateful for it i guess, like you said. still, i think the grief comes from knowing that any glimmer of a floyd concert is gone. not that it would have happened anyway. i never got to go see them. and i know its utterly impossible, but i so wish i got to meet Rick, and i would love to meet David too. I should go into music journalim while its not too late Happy
im keeping in mind the buddhism beliefs - grieving to a point is natural, anything past that is self indulgent. its time to let go and move on i know, but i still find it very sad he's gone.
11-28-2008 05:29 PM
Androkles Offline
Ummagumma

I still think of him. I've always appreciated Ricks playing. Still remember the moment where I saw it on a danish newssite, I was listening to Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits, a not too joyfull tune before, and I will certainly always think of Rick when I listen to that song.
11-30-2008 10:32 AM
arnoldlayne20 Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

Androkles Wrote:I still think of him. I've always appreciated Ricks playing. Still remember the moment where I saw it on a danish newssite, I was listening to Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits, a not too joyfull tune before, and I will certainly always think of Rick when I listen to that song.

yeah... i think everyone will remember exactly where they were... i was on my school bus and heard it harshly announced on the radio for a quiz. i was so gutted and shocked, a surreal moment. when they said which keyboard player from which band passed away last night? i was half heartedly praying NOT RICK, but didnt expect it to be him. i listened intently for the answer just to ease my mind - however ease my mind it did not Crying
11-30-2008 06:28 PM
Jeff 2008 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

Not too many things in life that is certain , death and taxes , or so they say . I suppose that the older you get , the more , if not comfortable , then the less fear there is surrounding the idea of death , taxes , however , i do not think I'll ever get used to . Life , by it's very nature , is transitory , we touch each other only for a brief period of time , and we move on . Nothing ever stays exactly the same , not even ourselves , we are in a constant state of change and we don't even realize it , at the time . Rick's death was sudden and shocking , but also , inevitable , we still got his music and memories . I take a measure of comfort in that .
12-02-2008 01:52 PM
arnoldlayne20 Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

Jeff 2008 Wrote:Not too many things in life that is certain , death and taxes , or so they say . I suppose that the older you get , the more , if not comfortable , then the less fear there is surrounding the idea of death , taxes , however , i do not think I'll ever get used to . Life , by it's very nature , is transitory , we touch each other only for a brief period of time , and we move on . Nothing ever stays exactly the same , not even ourselves , we are in a constant state of change and we don't even realize it , at the time . Rick's death was sudden and shocking , but also , inevitable , we still got his music and memories . I take a measure of comfort in that .

so true... lyrics that come to mind "childhoods end your fantasises, merged with harsh realities."
in the big picture, of this cosmos and precious earth, rick's death meant very little if anything, and i know there are huge things out there to contemplate. but at the same time, he did affect our humble little lives, and that must also be dealth with. but like you say, either way it was inevitable, and even for those it did affect, we always have the music to enjoy. The only reason we had any sadness was because he brought us joy initially, and sadness is the price we pay for it - a fair go really!
12-03-2008 04:38 PM
mabewa Offline
Wish You Were Here

I was absolutely shocked and crushed when I found out. I kind of tried to analyze my feelings, because I don't really have a problem with death per se (happens to us all, after all), but I was really gutted. I guess that I was really delighted by Rick's presence in Dave's tour and his plans for a solo album, and it seemed like he was going through another creative revival like the one that resulted in TDB and Broken China. It seemed that finally he had really found his way all the way back as a musician, after this long difficult period. I think that Roger said that his death was "premature," and I really felt (feel!) that way.

I've gotten over a lot of the initial sadness now. I am really glad that there seems to be a lot greater awareness of just how much Rick contributed to PF and music--an awareness that has been building for years, I think, but which really showed itself on Dave's tour and with the reaction to Rick's death. I was watching all of these Youtube videos of PF songs that heavily featured Rick (or, in some cases, of Rick solo songs), and there was just this incredible outpouring from all over the world. I guess that was what really hit me--people would be writing comments in multiple languages, and from what I could read, it was really clear that Rick's passing had touched people all over the world, and people knew exactly what he had given us. That really meant a lot to me.
12-06-2008 03:27 AM