Is David the best?
Arno Sluismans Offline
Wish You Were Here

RE: Is David the best?
(02-04-2011 04:56 AM)silverpot Wrote:  The melody for "and I have become comfortably numb" was added to David's original tune to fit Roger's lyrics.

The same thing happened with Wish You Were Here. It was David's initial tune but it was altered a bit to fit the lyrics Roger already had.

Is that all that Roger was referring to when he said the lyrics came before the music in Wish You Were Here? Because then I think he could have said the same thing about Comfortably Numb. Unsure

[Image: ighs84.png]
Whenever I make a post, add the modulus of e to the power of the product of i and pi to my counter.
02-04-2011 05:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

I don't think it's been said when "The Doctor" was written, lyrically. My guess is it was written sometime in 1978, during the downtime the band had after The Animals tour and the start of recording sessions for The Wall. I know that the song was inspired by what happened to Roger during their show in Philadelphia in June of '77.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
02-04-2011 08:27 AM
silverpot Offline
Obscured By Clouds

(02-04-2011 05:13 AM)Arno Sluismans Wrote:  
(02-04-2011 04:56 AM)silverpot Wrote:  The melody for "and I have become comfortably numb" was added to David's original tune to fit Roger's lyrics.

The same thing happened with Wish You Were Here. It was David's initial tune but it was altered a bit to fit the lyrics Roger already had.

Is that all that Roger was referring to when he said the lyrics came before the music in Wish You Were Here? Because then I think he could have said the same thing about Comfortably Numb. Unsure

Nope, the lyrics to Comfy was adapted to the melody, the only thing that was added was the "and I've become comfortably numb" part.

Wish You Were Here took a little more of alteration to fit the lyrics. However, I don't know who did this. It may have been a collaboration.
02-04-2011 04:13 PM
PanFloyd
Unregistered

The David Gilmour is and will be the best guitarist!!! Gilmour, without any doubt.
02-08-2011 11:51 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Androkles Offline
Ummagumma

David Gilmour is not the best guitarist, I don't believe in rating musicianship.

But he is indeed a very good guitarist.

[Image: wright.jpg]
Rest in peace, play some great gigs in the sky
02-08-2011 11:55 AM
Purple_Ember Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

(01-31-2011 10:42 PM)blue_ember Wrote:  Do you think David Gilmour is the best guitarist of all time? If not then who is the best?

All of Pink Floyd sucks, david is prob the worst one of em all
02-08-2011 12:05 PM
Arno Sluismans Offline
Wish You Were Here

(02-08-2011 11:55 AM)Androkles Wrote:  David Gilmour is not the best guitarist, I don't believe in rating musicianship.

But he is indeed a very good guitarist.

Very good point, actually. There are so many different kinds of music that it gets hard to compare... For instance, try to compare Gilmour with B.B. King.

(02-08-2011 12:05 PM)Purple_Ember Wrote:  
(01-31-2011 10:42 PM)blue_ember Wrote:  Do you think David Gilmour is the best guitarist of all time? If not then who is the best?

I see you're on the wrong website. Don't let your awesomeness hit you in the back on your way out, kay kay?

[Image: ighs84.png]
Whenever I make a post, add the modulus of e to the power of the product of i and pi to my counter.
02-08-2011 12:37 PM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

(02-08-2011 12:05 PM)Purple_Ember Wrote:  

Yet you took the time to register an account on a Pink Floyd fan message board. I guess that means they don't really suck, or else you wouldn't be here.

You can't fool us, sunshine.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
02-08-2011 01:29 PM
Androkles Offline
Ummagumma

Exactly my point. Some guitarists are the masters of their respective genres, but the musical genres can't be compared really, a classical guitarist could beat the crap out of many electric guitarist.

[Image: wright.jpg]
Rest in peace, play some great gigs in the sky
02-08-2011 01:34 PM
blue_ember Offline
Atom Heart Mother

EVERYONE Purple_ember is a friend of mine from school, he heard of the forum when I was talking to him and he decided he was gonna do some griefing.... I apologize for him. He's into Ke$sha =.= report him or w.e. hes gonna cause nothing but harm to this forum

Roger Waters - The Wall Live. December 12th, 2011. Second Comfortably Numb guitar solo= best moment of my life!
02-08-2011 09:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!!! - Time to shout out fur David's B-Day Wulfman 31 3,929 03-06-2011 02:50 PM
Last Post: soc7
  david gilmour - david's singing voice brian 36 3,209 05-07-2005 12:00 PM
Last Post: lildevilchik13