Is David the best?
blue_ember Offline
Atom Heart Mother

Is David the best?
Do you think David Gilmour is the best guitarist of all time? If not then who is the best?

Roger Waters - The Wall Live. December 12th, 2011. Second Comfortably Numb guitar solo= best moment of my life!
01-31-2011 10:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Floydy Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

RE: Is David the best?
Arno Sluismans would say that I, Floydy, is the best guitarist.

[Image: vRJ86GT.jpg]
02-01-2011 01:46 AM
Arno Sluismans Offline
Wish You Were Here

Heh, I guess it depends. He's definitely one of the more "intelligent" (I suppose that's not really the right word) guitarist out there; he doesn't give a damn about how difficult or easy his plays are. The only thing he cares about it what they sound like, which is something most musicians have trouble with. Technically, I don't think he even comes close to being the best guitarist in the world, though. Aesthetically, he's probably the best.

[Image: ighs84.png]
Whenever I make a post, add the modulus of e to the power of the product of i and pi to my counter.
02-01-2011 03:14 AM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

Emotionally, absolutely. Technically, no I don't believe so. I don't think he's technically a better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix or Duane Allman. He would never say that in terms of technical ability he's the best guitarist that ever lived, so I certainly won't.

That being said, I love, love, love what he does and the way he does it, because it's unique to him and the music he makes.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
02-01-2011 11:38 AM
blue_ember Offline
Atom Heart Mother

(i know weve already discussed this LF) but people, if you had to pick between David Gilmour and Jimmy Page as your favourite who would you pick (who do you think is better)?

Roger Waters - The Wall Live. December 12th, 2011. Second Comfortably Numb guitar solo= best moment of my life!
02-01-2011 07:45 PM
Floydy Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

David Gilmour hands down. Jimmy Page is a very different guitar player to David. As has been said before, David is a more aesthetically atuned guitar player, he doesn't play a million notes an hour like Jimmy Page can (Watch "The Song Remains The Same" DVD) All I can say is, I would sell my soul to the Devil to play the guitar like David Gilmour.

P.S I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan as well, Jimmy Page is another favourite guitar player of mine.

[Image: vRJ86GT.jpg]
02-02-2011 02:48 AM
Joe Offline
Animals

Like everybody said, technically, he isn't the best. He's very good, but he isn't the best. Emotionally, he's incredible, and I'd class him as number one. He has a sense of music, and he doesn't give a flying poop about speed and such things.

...our minds shot together.
02-02-2011 03:22 AM
Arno Sluismans Offline
Wish You Were Here

(02-01-2011 07:45 PM)blue_ember Wrote:  (i know weve already discussed this LF) but people, if you had to pick between David Gilmour and Jimmy Page as your favourite who would you pick (who do you think is better)?

Gilmour, without doubt.

[Image: ighs84.png]
Whenever I make a post, add the modulus of e to the power of the product of i and pi to my counter.
02-02-2011 03:25 AM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

David Gilmour is better than Jimmy Page, IMO.

Anyway, all threads like this do is devolve into circular conversation -- anytime you deal with something subjective like this, all you can do is talk in circles.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
02-02-2011 11:07 AM
blue_ember Offline
Atom Heart Mother

(02-02-2011 11:07 AM)Lady Floydian Wrote:  David Gilmour is better than Jimmy Page, IMO.

Anyway, all threads like this do is devolve into circular conversation -- anytime you deal with something subjective like this, all you can do is talk in circles.

You know the reason this forumpage was opened was because I wanted to know what people have to say about David and what they have to say about him and Jimmy Page spesificly. I'm not looking for a fight or an argument I just want to see the pros and cons of Gilmour's guitar work. Lets keep it freindly Happy

02-02-2011 12:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!!! - Time to shout out fur David's B-Day Wulfman 31 4,439 03-06-2011 02:50 PM
Last Post: soc7
  david gilmour - david's singing voice brian 36 3,767 05-07-2005 12:00 PM
Last Post: lildevilchik13