Is David the best?
silverpot Offline
Obscured By Clouds

RE: Is David the best?
Gilmour's guitar playing is the reason I like Pink Floyd. His sense of melody and his tone outshines Page's by a mile.
Page is probably a more technically skilled player though, but I'm not impressed by that. And I'm not a big fan of Zeppelin.
02-02-2011 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arno Sluismans Offline
Wish You Were Here

(02-02-2011 11:07 AM)Lady Floydian Wrote:  David Gilmour is better than Jimmy Page, IMO.

Anyway, all threads like this do is devolve into circular conversation -- anytime you deal with something subjective like this, all you can do is talk in circles.

Disagreeing for 100%. Threads like these ask about one's opinion, but their implied point is to discuss the reasons behind these opinions. Each sensible opinion is based on a relatively objective set of reasons, and these are very interesting to talk about, in my opinion.

[Image: ighs84.png]
Whenever I make a post, add the modulus of e to the power of the product of i and pi to my counter.
02-02-2011 01:28 PM
Bachi Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Mm he wrote Comfortably Numb, and the original seems to be difficult, even for him, to reach the same quality than when he recorded it.

He wrote masterpieces like Time/Young Lust/Fletcher/Mother which are really really good, or the fills in brain damage (best seen in Interview Part III from Live At Pompeii)

Hes for sure the best popular guitarist, but Im sure there are better unknown artists

In my second wall.
02-02-2011 03:35 PM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

(02-02-2011 01:28 PM)Arno Sluismans Wrote:  
(02-02-2011 11:07 AM)Lady Floydian Wrote:  David Gilmour is better than Jimmy Page, IMO.

Anyway, all threads like this do is devolve into circular conversation -- anytime you deal with something subjective like this, all you can do is talk in circles.

Disagreeing for 100%. Threads like these ask about one's opinion, but their implied point is to discuss the reasons behind these opinions. Each sensible opinion is based on a relatively objective set of reasons, and these are very interesting to talk about, in my opinion.

I don't think you understood what I said. Nowhere did I say that the conversation was not interesting, or that people didn't have their reasons for the opinions that they have. I said the conversation is circular meaning, we think David is better than Jimmy Page, and we say why. Someone else comes in and says Jimmy Page is better, and they say why. We say "I disagree and here's why", they say "I disagree and here's why", and no further conversation is had, aside from the rehashing of points made umpteen posts earlier.

That's why threads about who is better are interesting, but they eventually don't go anywhere else.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
02-02-2011 04:08 PM
Arno Sluismans Offline
Wish You Were Here

He wrote Comfortably Numb, Time, Young Lust, Fletcher and Mother? Wow, that's new to me. The former three are cowritten, and the latter two are Waters-credited.

If you're just talking about the guitar solos, though, I agree (although, still, he didn't write those all by himself). Especially Comfortably Numb and Fletcher have amazing guitar solos that nobody else could have done. Another favourite of mine is Mudmen.

Whenever I make a post, add the modulus of e to the power of the product of i and pi to my counter.
02-02-2011 04:14 PM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

He wrote the music to Comfortably Numb, yes. It was written during the sessions for his 1st solo album, but he didn't think it really fit with anything that he had already, so he saved it and brought it with to The Wall sessions. Roger had a song written already called "The Doctor", and the lyrics from that song were basically inserted into the music David had already written. They quarreled over the tone of the song, with David wanting the verses to be grungier and darker, and in the end Roger won out on that. If you listen to how the song is arranged when Pink Floyd did it live from 1987-1994, that's how David wanted it to sound from the start. There's a video on YouTube that's from an interview David did in the early 80s, where he plays a snippet of the demo tape of Comfortably Numb, which he recorded on a steel-strung guitar.

(02-02-2011 03:35 PM)Bachi Wrote:  Mm he wrote Comfortably Numb, and the original seems to be difficult, even for him, to reach the same quality than when he recorded it.

I'm sorry, what?

02-02-2011 04:18 PM
Kimbers Sheep Offline
Sheep Rule
Super Moderators

I always found Page to simply be way too sloppy live, Dave always seemed a bit more precise, but, and strictly my opinion, neither are/were as precise as Alex Lifeson live. And yeah, these kind of conversations seldom accomplish much but man, how many of these did I spend hours and hours on while in college, lol.

Ice Cream Tastes Good in the Afternoon...
02-02-2011 06:31 PM
Arno Sluismans Offline
Wish You Were Here

(02-02-2011 04:18 PM)Lady Floydian Wrote:  He wrote the music to Comfortably Numb, yes. It was written during the sessions for his 1st solo album, but he didn't think it really fit with anything that he had already, so he saved it and brought it with to The Wall sessions. Roger had a song written already called "The Doctor", and the lyrics from that song were basically inserted into the music David had already written. They quarreled over the tone of the song, with David wanting the verses to be grungier and darker, and in the end Roger won out on that. If you listen to how the song is arranged when Pink Floyd did it live from 1987-1994, that's how David wanted it to sound from the start. There's a video on YouTube that's from an interview David did in the early 80s, where he plays a snippet of the demo tape of Comfortably Numb, which he recorded on a steel-strung guitar.

(02-02-2011 03:35 PM)Bachi Wrote:  Mm he wrote Comfortably Numb, and the original seems to be difficult, even for him, to reach the same quality than when he recorded it.

I'm sorry, what?

Aren't Comfortably Numb's verses written by Roger?

02-03-2011 03:08 AM
Joe Offline
Animals

The one who writes music is called composer and the one who writes the words is the lyricist, correct?

...our minds shot together.
02-03-2011 08:06 AM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

(02-03-2011 03:08 AM)Arno Sluismans Wrote:  
(02-02-2011 04:18 PM)Lady Floydian Wrote:  He wrote the music to Comfortably Numb, yes. It was written during the sessions for his 1st solo album, but he didn't think it really fit with anything that he had already, so he saved it and brought it with to The Wall sessions. Roger had a song written already called "The Doctor", and the lyrics from that song were basically inserted into the music David had already written. They quarreled over the tone of the song, with David wanting the verses to be grungier and darker, and in the end Roger won out on that. If you listen to how the song is arranged when Pink Floyd did it live from 1987-1994, that's how David wanted it to sound from the start. There's a video on YouTube that's from an interview David did in the early 80s, where he plays a snippet of the demo tape of Comfortably Numb, which he recorded on a steel-strung guitar.

I'm sorry, what?

Aren't Comfortably Numb's verses written by Roger?

Did you read what I said at all? I'll bold the relevant sentence.

02-03-2011 08:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!!! - Time to shout out fur David's B-Day Wulfman 31 4,186 03-06-2011 02:50 PM
Last Post: soc7
  david gilmour - david's singing voice brian 36 3,479 05-07-2005 12:00 PM
Last Post: lildevilchik13