WYWH 'Syd's Theme' based on BBC Radio show 'Take It From Here' ? Any further info?
kiefspoon Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

WYWH 'Syd's Theme' based on BBC Radio show 'Take It From Here' ? Any further info?
Hi,

Does anybody know if it is true that - according to a Roger Waters interview I read a while ago, forgot where from - that 'Syd's Theme' in "Shine On" is based on the theme tune to an old BBC radio series, "Take It From Here"?

Does anybody know any more about that, or have any further info? Would love to hear more about it.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.
04-04-2011 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

RE: WYWH 'Syd's Theme' based on BBC Radio show 'Take It From Here' ? Any further info?
I'm not sure about this -- I did some research, and that radio show ended in 1959, when David was 13 years old. I don't know if it's plausible that he was an avid enough follower of the show, that he'd remember the theme and then "accidentally" play it, and have it become the centerpiece of a song he was working on in a band 15 years later. That doesn't pass my sniff test.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
04-04-2011 02:04 PM
kiefspoon Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

RE: WYWH 'Syd's Theme' based on BBC Radio show 'Take It From Here' ? Any further info?
(04-04-2011 02:04 PM)Lady Floydian Wrote:  I'm not sure about this -- I did some research, and that radio show ended in 1959, when David was 13 years old. I don't know if it's plausible that he was an avid enough follower of the show, that he'd remember the theme and then "accidentally" play it, and have it become the centerpiece of a song he was working on in a band 15 years later. That doesn't pass my sniff test.

Hi Lady Floydian,

Yes, I know what you mean, but there is a slim chance.

I remember when I was growing up in school in the UK, we would always copy & sing Monty Python sketches & songs etc (who doesn't?) but these were from programmes that would have originally been on TV about 10 or 12 years before then, but still felt like they had a relevance to me then.

i guess maybe it depends who you hang around with... !

In fact, I still am a massive fan & love watching their stuff... but I'm getting off the subject here (which may have hit a dead end!!!!).

Thanks again to you, Lady Floydian
04-04-2011 03:06 PM
silverpot Offline
Obscured By Clouds

It doesn't sound like anything on WYWH to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0PprxxJg9M

Besides, what is Syd's theme anyway?
04-05-2011 10:22 AM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

(04-05-2011 10:22 AM)silverpot Wrote:  It doesn't sound like anything on WYWH to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0PprxxJg9M

Besides, what is Syd's theme anyway?

The four-note arpeggio that opens Part II of Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
04-05-2011 10:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WYWH SACD mix wet dream 2 518 05-04-2012 04:19 PM
Last Post: wet dream
  personality prediction based on favorite pf albums russian 45 4,297 12-16-2011 06:00 AM
Last Post: Rykeys
  WYWH Cover? floydcrazy 15 2,110 04-05-2011 06:37 PM
Last Post: wet dream
  WYWH and Its a Wonderful Life dididiipro 26 1,183 12-26-2010 06:21 PM
Last Post: Floydy
  WYWH Album Artwork Difference Pig (The Third One) 3 825 01-03-2010 12:00 PM
Last Post: Dewkichuckwagon