Pink Floyd's albums are re-charting and in a BIG way!
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd's albums are re-charting and in a BIG way!
Per Brain Damage:

Quote:The 2011 remasters of Pink Floyd's albums have dominated the album charts worldwide, with key releases making the biggest impact. In the UK, for example, the official album charts have The Dark Side Of The Moon as a re-entry at number 11 (celebrating 557 weeks on the UK chart), Wish You Were Here at number 43, The Wall at number 44, Animals at 88, and Meddle at 99.

In the US, six Pink Floyd albums re-enter Billboard's Top 200. TDSOTM is at number 12, The Wall at number 40, Wish You Were Here at 71, Animals at 83, Meddle at 174 and the Discovery Box Set has a separate entry at number 175. The Billboard Top Catalog chart has Dark Side at number 1 (for the first time since the 2003 Hybrid SACD peaked there), The Wall at 5, Wish You Were Here at 6 and Animals at 7. Our thanks to Terrence Reardon for his help with this information.

How amazing! These albums are nearly 40 years old, and just their re-issuing has caused them make the charts, and not in an insignificant way, either.

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
10-09-2011 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pink Flow Offline
Animals

RE: Pink Floyd's albums are re-charting and in a BIG way!
There is hope, after all!

Shocking. Positively shocking.
10-09-2011 08:54 AM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

I just think it's awesome that they have charted albums again. It shows that enough people in both countries were interested in buying these to cause that to happen. If the demand wasn't there, TDSOTM wouldn't be the #12 album in the country right now. As a Floydian, that makes me beyond overjoyed. It shows people still have good taste after all!

10-09-2011 09:22 AM
Joe Offline
Animals

Indeed!

...our minds shot together.
10-09-2011 10:45 AM
silverpot Offline
Obscured By Clouds

I wonder how many of the copies are sold to people who already owns at least one copy of each album. Biggrin
10-10-2011 10:23 AM
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

Probably a few. I know I sometimes pick up copies for friends/family as gifts if I know they're looking to start a collection, or if they mention they've always wanted to get them but never got around to it.

I just checked the Billboard website, and they STILL have two albums charting: The Dark Side of the Moon is at #59 and The Wall is at #126. Considering there's newer artists with newer releases charting below those, that's pretty damn impressive for a band that hasn't had an album out in 17 years. That's not just people who already own copies buying more copies; I think a lot of that is new fans getting into their music for one reason or another.

10-23-2011 08:12 AM
Seamus my old hound Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

(10-23-2011 08:12 AM)Lady Floydian Wrote:  Probably a few. I know I sometimes pick up copies for friends/family as gifts if I know they're looking to start a collection, or if they mention they've always wanted to get them but never got around to it.

I just checked the Billboard website, and they STILL have two albums charting: The Dark Side of the Moon is at #59 and The Wall is at #126. Considering there's newer artists with newer releases charting below those, that's pretty damn impressive for a band that hasn't had an album out in 17 years. That's not just people who already own copies buying more copies; I think a lot of that is new fans getting into their music for one reason or another.
=================

Sorry for chiming in on an older post but I was killing time reading them and had to comment on this one.

My son is 20 and a few months back for whatever reason tapped into my collection of CD's. Out of my very vast collection covering Rock to Blues to Jazz, he pulled out PF's Wish You Were Here and in order not to disturb me as I was working, put his headphones on. I knew what he was in for and couldn't help but smile. I recalled my personal experience doing the very same thing with Dark Side back in '73 because I didn't want my mom to hear the term "bull$hit" in Money...I was hooked on PF within seconds.

I don't think my son got more than 2 minutes into WYWH and took off the headphones and asked if all of Floyd's music was impressive. After laughing I told him to sit back and enjoy the ride. When WYWH was done, all he said was "Wow". I then gave him Dark Side and lastly he grabbed Division Bell. He has yet to listen to The Wall but I am taking him to see the Show in May. Not sure if I should have him listen to the album or just let the live show be his first taste of the music. Obviously there's a ton more PF music he can listen to, but as far as I know, those have been the one's he's sat and listened to to the end.

This is a kid who only listened to Metallica and the like, but it seems he can't stop listening to WYWH.

[Image: PinkFloydMademoiselleNobs+.jpg]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVwW6hjLo8
02-26-2012 11:53 AM
Dyolf Offline
Pink Floyd

Well I've bought the Immersion editions of each album so far (which will contribute to the charts as they contain the original albums). Technically, in the UK purchasing The Wall immersion edition will count as a sale for The Wall and Is There Anybody Out There? - The Wall Live 1980-81 too, as they're both stand-alone albums in one set.

I have also purchased the Discovery box set, partly due to being a Pink Floyd whore and wanting the remasters but also to free up some space on my very full CD rack, so they're now neatly away in their (not so) little box.

I am pleased to see Floyd in the charts again, DSOTM entered the charts back in 2003 too, when the SACD was released, which I didn't buy because I disliked the cover art and didn't have a 5.1 system on which to play it, now I do and love the 5.1 audio in the DSOTM Immersion set.

PFO Brother of Wings on the Pig & pinkfloydfan1 and Cousin of BOOOSH
02-27-2012 05:35 AM
quicksilver Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

I've noticed more & more of the younger generation wearing Pink Floyd T's lately. I Mean early teens........my guess is that their parents passed along their love of Pink Floyd.

Maybe its the "cool" thing nowadays to wear 60's & 70's era music shirts?

either way it a good thing. Floyd's music does transcend generations...

[Image: GVwAGsx.jpg]
03-01-2012 01:08 PM
Joe Offline
Animals

My father gave me The Wall when I was 14.

...our minds shot together.
03-01-2012 03:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rearranged Pink Floyd Albums Game ohbytheway 1 621 12-16-2013 05:40 PM
Last Post: FrowningBanana
  "All 5 Pink Floyd Albums" Seamus my old hound 6 421 12-12-2013 04:01 AM
Last Post: Floydy
  Win All 14 Pink Floyd Discovery albums. Spiritinthesky 0 359 01-14-2012 01:12 AM
Last Post: Spiritinthesky
  Pink Floyd rare and collectable signed poster for Pink Floyd lovers floyderson 2 4,870 06-01-2011 02:09 AM
Last Post: Joe
  Would you re-buy Pink Floyd albums if they were remastered with bonus tracks? Dyolf 41 4,307 04-02-2010 12:07 PM
Last Post: dogusu