The Final Cut - Rate and Discuss
floydsu Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

It is nearly impossible for me to rank the songs on this album, but I agree with what some people have said. Is it a great "Pink Floyd" album. Absolutely not. Is it a great album? Absolutely. The lyrics in my opinion are Roger's finest, and I would personally rank this album below only "Dark Side," "Wish You Were Here," "Animals," and "The Wall." Musically brilliant as well (granted I couldn't even imagine how much better this album would have been with the full participation of the rest of the gang), especially the orchestral sequences. If you like deep, moving songs, check this out.

Sincerity is hard to find in rock n' roll these days. Behold sincerity.
09-20-2005 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
carefulwiththataxluke Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

Sydney Wrote:
Topazzz Wrote:I don't think I can really rate the songs on this album, as I don't own it and haven't really listened to all of the songs equally, but the ones I have listened to made such an impression on me that I had to comment on this thread. :) Gilmour, I'd have to agree with you that TFC has some of your namesake's most powerful solos. Maybe it was just the way I was feeling at the moment when I was listening to the title track in particular, but it just hit me really hard...incredibly beautiful and heartfelt.

This afternoon I was feeling really depressed - things had not been going well for me, and I've been dealing with clinical depression for about four years now anyway which doesn't help matters at times like these - and I went for a walk outside, and it felt like my whole life at the moment boiled down to the song The Final Cut. That song was playing in my head at full mental volume (does that make any sense? lol, even I'm not sure if it does) and just seemed to sum up everything for me, especially the first verse.

"Through the fish-eyed lens of tear-stained eyes" - I wasn't crying at the time, but I think that was mainly because I had bypassed that stage and gone straight to numbness and feeling distanced from the world.
"I can barely define the shape of this moment in time" - Too many things going on in my life right now, and I'm not sure where I fit into any of them.
"And far from flying high in clear blue skies" - The sky was indeed blue, the weather was perfect, a very beautiful day outside, and it didn't fit my mood at all (grey and rainy would've been more suitable for my emotions, lol).
"I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide." - I just wanted to escape somewhere, to get away from life for a while and hide from everything and everyone.

And so on, and so forth...I don't know that I've ever had a song define a place in my life so well. It seems silly and juvenile now, lol, but I kept half-wishing that Roger Waters would just appear out of nowhere so I could talk to him, as it seemed then that someone who wrote lyrics like that would be the only person who could understand how I was feeling.

Anyway, I'm feeling slightly better now, but I haven't lost that connection that I felt earlier today...and something tells me I never will. :)

[/Topazzz being all sentimental and spilling her guts] :p
Topazzz I have problems with depression as well, and I must agree with you that The Final Cut certainly stands out. The lines that do it for me are "And if I show you my dark side
will you still hold me tonight and if I open my heart to you
and show you my weak side what would you do?" Oh my God, the first time I heard that I just listened to that line over and over again.

When I was a freshman and sophmore in high school I got along with most everyone and I was happy most of the time, but then once I became a junior things began to really go down hill for me. I was always crying or angry or tired. Nothing was worth anything anymore. I lost a lot of friends and I just didn't know what was wrong with me. I felt, and sometimes still do, like I was just losing my mind. Nobody felt like me it seemed. I think the entire album is somewhat depressing to listen to. It is a dark album, but that's why I like it so much. I always point out the lyrics, because that is what stands out to me. Those lyrics in The Final Cut describe how I feel. It's a release to hear those, to know that I'm not alone. They don't make feel so crazy. Do you know what I mean?
Me too although I wish that knowone else had to go through what I deal with on a daily basis, It's good to know that there are people ("Floydians" in this case) out there who can relate. When I'm realy feeling at my worst I usualy choose The Wall, The Final Cut, & Animals as my choice of albums to listen to in that state of mind so to speak. They usualy help me to become grounded once again. The Final Cut has always been an extention album of The Wall to me anyway and has always held a special place in my heart for it's very powerful message & intense music. It can be overwelming at times but that's the magic of Pink Floyd to make you feel the music not just hear it as said on another thread by one of our members.

American by birth, Floydian by obsession.
09-20-2005 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kimbers Sheep Offline
Sheep Rule
Super Moderators

I think it's an album that grows on you, people either seem to love it or hate it though, me, I do think it is the weakest of the Pink Floyd library, but I still do like listening to it, I guess though I have to be in the mood, pretty much any of the other LP's I can listen to at any time...it's an acquired taste :D

Ice Cream Tastes Good in the Afternoon...
09-20-2005 09:20 PM
Pink_Floydian Offline
More

azza200 Wrote:The final cut = Boredom central

only songs on it i like are not now john and The final cut solo
other then that the album is lift music zzzzzzzzzz :sleepy:
maybe you don't understand the final cut.
there are a lot people who say, that the songs are boring.
but they all do not understand the meaning of the album.
it does not want to entertain you, it does not want to make you a happy time, it wants to teach you a lesson.
it wants to make you think about several things.

and that's the point.
maybe you rags can't think about things in a deeper way.
you maybe lead a very, very superficial life and that's why you do not recognize the worth of that great record....
09-21-2005 12:54 AM
S.H.E.E.P Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

1. Your Possible Pasts
2. Not Now John
3. The Hero's Return
4. The Gunner's Dream
5. The Fletcher Memorial home
6. The Post War Dream
7. The Final cut
8. Southampton Dock
9. Paranoid eyes
10. when the tigers broke free
11. two suns in the sundet
12. one of the few
13. get your filthy hands off my desert

the last four are in no perticular order
09-28-2005 02:55 PM
Gadsden Snake Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

The Final Cut was alright but when i listen to it, i find myself getting depressed.I like Roger W. the most but I feel his infulence in this album was too stong.

Something I find odd is that the Wall is my favorite,the final cut came from the wall(when roger wrote the wall,he wrote enough for 3 cds but used only 2 , final cut was the 3rd),yet it is one of my least favorite.

Did you know Roger origionally planned to call the final cut, "Spare Bricks"?
10-01-2005 09:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pink_Floydian Offline
More

that's well known as you can read about it in several Floyd books.

imagine, how "the final cut/spare bricks" would have done in "THE WALL".
i think, it was the right decision to leave "the final cut/spare bricks" out of "THE WALL", because TFC/SB is about the falkland, politics etc and "THE WALL" is somehow societycriticism and a story about a rockstar's life...
maybe about the problems rockstars have, too..

in fact, both are GREAT, GREAT records.
and i can't imagine, having them as one record!
:;):
10-02-2005 03:50 AM
The Thin Ice of Modern Life Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

I've always found it really odd when people say that The Final Cut is basically a rehashed version of The Wall. I think they are two completely different concepts with completely different messages. Yes, superficially, the concept of war and Roger's father are two subjects that overlap...but in all honesty that is a lot of Roger's work.

That wasn't meant as an insult, as I loveeeee Roger and all of his material (solo as well). But I think there are 2 types of Floyd fans (which kinda parallels the whole Rog vs Dave issue, if you think about it). Either the lyrics captivate you first and the music amplifies the meaning/emotion behind the lyrics, or vice versa.

Anyways, The Final Cut is one of my favorite albums of all time, even though it's hard to accept it as a Floyd album (no Rick Wright). I really think it's some of Roger's best work (the title track, Fletcher Memorial Home, etc.).

Give it a shot! You might be surprised.
10-02-2005 12:09 PM
Sydney Offline
Animals

The Thin Ice of Modern Life Wrote:I've always found it really odd when people say that The Final Cut is basically a rehashed version of The Wall. I think they are two completely different concepts with completely different messages. Yes, superficially, the concept of war and Roger's father are two subjects that overlap...but in all honesty that is a lot of Roger's work.

That wasn't meant as an insult, as I loveeeee Roger and all of his material (solo as well). But I think there are 2 types of Floyd fans (which kinda parallels the whole Rog vs Dave issue, if you think about it). Either the lyrics captivate you first and the music amplifies the meaning/emotion behind the lyrics, or vice versa.

Anyways, The Final Cut is one of my favorite albums of all time, even though it's hard to accept it as a Floyd album (no Rick Wright). I really think it's some of Roger's best work (the title track, Fletcher Memorial Home, etc.).

Give it a shot! You might be surprised.
I think you're right on the money when you say there are differences in Floyd fans. I love Roger and his work. I love philosopies and political opinions, I think he's a brilliant man. There are others who don't agree with his ideas, and so they don't like a lot of his later Floyd works in which that is focus. Dave/Rick fans tend to be more captivated by the music, which I agree is very well done and so they love albums such as The Division Bell which musically is brilliant, but imo not as lyrically strong as others.

Earlier on another topic I think it was mentioned that introverts tended to like The Final Cut more so, and extroverts like AMLOR or TDB. Interesting proposition to ponder I think.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Lois don't be alarmed-but I think I'm Jesus
10-02-2005 05:05 PM
The Thin Ice of Modern Life Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

Quote:Earlier on another topic I think it was mentioned that introverts tended to like The Final Cut more so, and extroverts like AMLOR or TDB. Interesting proposition to ponder I think.

Oh that is so funny and so sad because it is so true. Loons like Roger, me, and anyone else that is so critical of lyrics (i.e. has the mindframe to overanalyze things to death) must be introverted in a way, I guess. Plus, Roger fits the description of introvert - and I quote from the man himself:

"As a young man, I was that guy dressed in black, standing in the corner and scowling, lighting a cigarette and sort of giving out that 'don't come and talk to me' vibe. It wasn't that I thought I was too cool. Actually I was scared shitless . . . of rejection, I suppose. So I would hide away behind this cloak of irony. I was sardonic and witty, but rather sharp with it. But I'm more open now, more trusting of my fellow man, and particularly of audiences that come to hear my songs. Now I feel safe in that environment."

Well I could totally relate to that! I love Rog so much because he can totally immerse his listener in another world, in another set of shoes, really. He knows how to write in a way that people can relate to easily (if you're of similar mindset, of course).

I don't even know if all of what I said even made sense. But the bottom line is:

"If I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?
And if I show you my weak side, what would you do?"

The Final Cut is beautiful!
10-02-2005 05:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RoIO's! do tell and discuss! sydfan 27 2,707 04-21-2010 05:00 PM
Last Post: azimuth
  Lets Discuss, Careful With That Axe, Eugene DGilmourFan82 16 1,657 01-17-2010 04:40 PM
Last Post: floydcrazy
  Rate the Albums: More Quincy 19 993 05-23-2006 01:58 PM
Last Post: Domine
  Rate the Albums: A Saucerful of Secrets Quincy 20 1,126 05-20-2006 01:07 PM
Last Post: FarAwayLaughter
  Rate the Albums: Piper at the Gates of Dawn Quincy 15 1,725 05-08-2006 11:21 AM
Last Post: Grguitarfreek100