About Face Tour - Anyone See It?
runningshoes Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

About Face Tour - Anyone See It?
Did anyone else see a show on this tour? I saw him at Shea's Theater in Buffalo, NY.

Musically it as a great show, although there was nothing to speak of for a light show. I always thought he could have chosen his Floyd songs better. He opted for Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb and Money, when he could have done Wish You Were Here, Fat Old Sun or Breathe. He didn't do So Far Away, which really surprised me. Mihalis, There's No Way Out Of Here and Short And Sweet were nothing short of incredible. He could have done that whole album from start to finish and I would have left satisfied. I wasn't much into About Face then and I'm still not now.

We had bloody great seats but as I remember, they would have had a hard time giving them away. I remember reading the Beacon Theater show was only half full. Don't know why this was.

I'm wondering what anyone else who saw it thinks.

Setlist:

Until We Sleep
All Lovers Are Deranged
There's No Way Out Of Here
Love On The Air
Mihalis
Cruise
Short And Sweet
Run Like Hell
Out Of The Blue
Let's Get Metaphysical
You Know I'm Right
Money
Blue Light
Murder
Near The End
Comfortably Numb

[Image: dg.jpg]
12-08-2011 06:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seamus my old hound Offline

RE: About Face Tour - Anyone See It?
Yeppers!
I saw it at a place (can't think of the name anymore, some opera house in Hartford, CT....I think it was "The Palace"??), had seats in the 3rd row just left of center. I felt like I could have reached up and shook his hand.

I enjoyed it more than Roger's Pro's & Con's show.

[Image: PinkFloydMademoiselleNobs+.jpg]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVwW6hjLo8
01-20-2012 03:22 PM
pinkfloydfan1 Offline
Division Bell

I wish i was alive back then let alone at the shows. My faviorite guitar tone of Davids, Drenched in Chorus.

Liam Creedon - Session Musician / Tutor
Http://www.liamcreedon.co.uk

Lead Guitarist of Wish You Were Floyd
01-21-2012 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lady Floydian Offline
Pink Floyd

I was only two years old when he toured for this album, so I wasn't able to attend, though I do have several bootlegs from that tour, including the show he did at the UIC Pavilion in my hometown of Chicago. Speaking of Chicago, I was able to finally see him on tour in 2006, when he played Rosemont. I went back up there (I was living in Georgia at the time) and saw the show with a very good friend of mine. He actually smiled in my general direction. I thought I'd died and went to heaven. Laughing

[Image: davidgilmoursignbyloudl.jpg]
(signature image courtesy of loud-love @ deviantART)
01-22-2012 06:16 PM
dbc Offline

(12-08-2011 06:10 PM)runningshoes Wrote:  Did anyone else see a show on this tour? I saw him at Shea's Theater in Buffalo, NY.

Musically it as a great show, although there was nothing to speak of for a light show. I always thought he could have chosen his Floyd songs better. He opted for Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb and Money, when he could have done Wish You Were Here, Fat Old Sun or Breathe. He didn't do So Far Away, which really surprised me. Mihalis, There's No Way Out Of Here and Short And Sweet were nothing short of incredible. He could have done that whole album from start to finish and I would have left satisfied. I wasn't much into About Face then and I'm still not now.

We had bloody great seats but as I remember, they would have had a hard time giving them away. I remember reading the Beacon Theater show was only half full. Don't know why this was.

I'm wondering what anyone else who saw it thinks.

Setlist:

Until We Sleep
All Lovers Are Deranged
There's No Way Out Of Here
Love On The Air
Mihalis
Cruise
Short And Sweet
Run Like Hell
Out Of The Blue
Let's Get Metaphysical
You Know I'm Right
Money
Blue Light
Murder
Near The End
Comfortably Numb

[Image: dg.jpg]

I have to ask what it was like to see Near The End live? I have looked everywhere for a video clip from an About Face tour show for Near The End but only found a live audio clip on youtube as I think that is the only type of the Near The End live clip that exists (i.e. audio but no video). I have an interesting take on Near The End as well as On an Island. There is an emotional connection I experience with these two songs as well as other Gilmour solo songs that I do not always seem to have with the Pink Floyd stuff even though I bleed Pink Floyd through and through. I can guarantee you that I am one of their biggest fans on the planet lol.

Here's my explanation why that emotional connection seems to occur for both On an Island and Near The End:

After hearing David Gilmour's On An Island I feel the need to talk about it amongst my fellow Floyd fans. I think it's Dave's best solo work. I heard that he tends to agree rocker. When listening to the whole album I find it to be quite mellow but yet very intriguing. It seems to me that Dave's intention here was to be more mellow than he has ever been before and I think if that was his intention, then I must say he did it perfectly. The On an Island single is fantastic. The harmonies in there with David Crosby and Graham Nash are ingenius. I always thought Dave Gilmour would sound great with those two and after finally hearing it, I think it is clear that the assumption was correct. VH1 Classic played the video at one point to close out a Pink Floyd hour long video block and I got goose bumps when they showed Gilmour, Crosby and Nash singing the chorus together. I also found out that Rick Wright was on keyboards for this song as well as others on the album. If only Nick joined them on the drums then that would have been something. Folks, I am not ashamed to say that the guitar solo at the end of this song brings tears to my eyes. It is magnificent. I still rank several other Gilmour solos above it but even still I was so very moved by this particular guitar solo. The DJ on 104.3 (NYC Classic Rock station) said it best when he said that Dave is just one of those guitarists who makes the guitar sing. Someone once said to me that when you can hear sadness in a guitar solo then you know the one strumming is darn good and I think this applies beautifully in the On An Island solo. I just wish the solo was even longer than it is, lol.

Near The End:

I am blown away by Near The End. I mentioned that On An Island allowed me to connect to David's music and guitar solos on a much higher emotional level than I have ever been able to with any Pink Floyd music (and I bleed Floyd through and through). It is not because of a lack of moving music, it is just the Pink Floyd stuff always seems to be so grand and on such a high level of genius that I can never quite 100% emotionally connect at the high level you need to with Pink Floyd's music. Essentially I look at it as too big, too dynamic, too complex for me to handle at the emotional level I need to, to properly do Floyd's music justice (I feel that no one can truly achieve the correct amount of emotion unless they were their with the band making the music genius we have at our disposal today). I just become overwhelmed by the utter genius and greatness of Pink Floyd's music no matter what era. However, with On an Island and this song Near The End, I am able to feel the full breadth of emotion that emanates from these particular songs and I am right there with David's emotional outpouring especially during the guitar solos of each song. Literally the solos of this song and On An Island seem to be David just crying up to heaven with each guitar strum through his guitar. The last minute or so of Near the End is especially moving just like On An Island. The guitar work is impeccable and pure unadulterated genius and raw emotion. Again, I literally come to tears when I hear the solo at the end of Near the End. David Gilmour is truly a genius and mega-god guitar player. I challenge anyone to say someone is better than David at his craft. God bless David Gilmour and Pink Floyd as I am indebted to you all for allowing me to discover music nirvana via your unparalleled talents.

I welcome any comments people may have about this as I'd love to hear what other people's emotions are when they hear this godly music.

[Image: Hammers1.gif]
02-02-2012 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  David Gilmour - About Face Floydy 5 498 03-06-2014 09:23 AM
Last Post: quicksilver
  David Gilmour and About Face albums paintbox 6 1,812 09-20-2008 07:58 AM
Last Post: Xardie
  Best Song - About Face - David Gilmour Wings on the Pig 11 1,937 10-26-2007 07:35 AM
Last Post: Wings on the Pig
  'David Gilmour' and 'About Face' album re-masters Sully 2 1,101 07-20-2006 06:29 PM
Last Post: whong
  About Face tour video 2ears2eyes 3 1,191 07-08-2006 02:56 PM
Last Post: pinkfloydfan1