Poll: 'Welcome to the Machine' live post '77 tour - Do you prefer Waters or Watersless Floyd
Waters performing Welcome to the Machine.
Gilmour/Mason/Wright performing Welcome to the Machine.
[Show Results]

'Welcome to the Machine' live post '77 tour - Do you prefer Waters or Watersless Floyd
ApocalypseKurtz Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Since 1977, this song was performed by Waters on a few of his solo tours, and also during the MloR tour by the Gilmour'led Floyd. Who do you think does it better?

In my opinion, neither version is as good as the studio version. The studio version achieves a rare vocal harmony that has never come close to being reproduced. That even goes for when it was performed live in '77 by Gilmour and Waters. In fact I might say 'Welcome to the Machine' is LEAST ENJOYABLE 'good song' to hear live due to its downbeat melody and lyrics. But I still will always love the studio cut.
07-18-2007 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dyolf Offline
Pink Floyd

I like the '87-'89 version, it's extended with a guitar solo and Dave on a 12-string!
I didn't like Waters' solo versions when I heard them, but I also like the '75 & '77 live versions too.
Dave's voice is suited to it rather than Roger's IMO.

I disagree with you saying that WTTM is rubbish live, I don't think I've heard a Pink Floyd song that is worse live than in the studio, live versions rule!

PFO Brother of Wings on the Pig & pinkfloydfan1 and Cousin of BOOOSH
07-19-2007 03:28 AM
mabewa Offline
Wish You Were Here

The Waters version is definitely better live. The way he sings it is totally different from how Dave sang it on the record, but I think his live versions are more powerful and effective than how the post-Waters Floyd did it.
07-19-2007 07:07 AM
whong Offline
Pink Floyd

I've always prefered Roger's spin on the song, especially on his 'Pros And Cons' tour. That was his opener, and it just blew everyone away....very powerful, with sax and guitar both trading leads, and the female voices used very well to accentuate Roger.
07-19-2007 11:13 AM
azza200 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

The AMLOR tour had some great versions of the song anyone seen the VOIO footage from Athens 1989 on youtube will know what i mean. :p rocker

07-19-2007 03:59 PM
Dyolf Offline
Pink Floyd

azza200 Wrote:The AMLOR tour had some great versions of the song anyone seen the VOIO footage from Athens 1989 on youtube will know what i mean. :p rocker
No. Guess what I'm off to do now.... :;):

07-19-2007 05:18 PM
Dyolf Offline
Pink Floyd

I'm now watching Money from Venice :D Dave shouting "Saxophooooone!" is great! And Jon Carin helping Gary Wallis out on percussion :D

07-19-2007 05:41 PM
whong Offline
Pink Floyd

Dyolf Wrote:I'm now watching Money from Venice :D Dave shouting "Saxophooooone!" is great! And Jon Carin helping Gary Wallis out on percussion :D
Carin does percussion too? Cool! Talented guy rocker
07-20-2007 06:06 PM
Dyolf Offline
Pink Floyd

whong Wrote:
Dyolf Wrote:I'm now watching Money from Venice :D Dave shouting "Saxophooooone!" is great! And Jon Carin helping Gary Wallis out on percussion :D
I dont think he was supposed to be, he just picked up a stick and started bashing things :D just for the fun of it. Gary Wallis also left his kit to join Dave with a tamborene.
AND this gig is the first time I've ever seen Dave jump about.

07-21-2007 03:06 AM
whong Offline
Pink Floyd

Dyolf Wrote:
whong Wrote:
I dont think he was supposed to be, he just picked up a stick and started bashing things :D just for the fun of it. Gary Wallis also left his kit to join Dave with a tamborene.
AND this gig is the first time I've ever seen Dave jump about.
I'm going to have to check this show out in it's entirety. I've seen little bits and pieces of it throughout maybe the past year or so, but nothing that's been mentioned here.

I hope they do eventually put this particular show out on dvd officially. It was a very special concert, stage, venue. I think I remember reading somewhere that the band was asked to reduce their sound level per city ordinance or some such thing....
07-21-2007 09:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Welcome to the Machine live A Saucerful of Secrets 3 560 12-28-2011 06:36 AM
Last Post: Dyolf
  Best Post-Waters Album - just stirring the pot..... whong 35 2,380 04-09-2007 08:39 AM
Last Post: flaming_pie
  In The Flesh - Waters live...you guys like it or no? drk229 18 1,652 11-20-2006 08:25 AM
Last Post: Philintheflesh
  The Wall Discs - which do you prefer floydian72 24 2,004 08-16-2006 08:52 PM
Last Post: IbanezIsTheColour
  Post-Waters Pink Floyd Quincy 22 1,642 03-08-2006 09:07 PM
Last Post: TakeItBack