getting better - playing guitar
RyanWK12D3 Offline
Relics

how do you guys get better?ive learned by just dling tabs but i dont really find myself getting better... i just play something til i get it. it just doesnt seem like im accomplishing anything besides playing a popular song...
07-16-2004 07:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simps Offline
Division Bell

Listening to as many different styles of music would be a good start, and I don't just mean all the different genres of mainstream music. Go far beyond those restrictions. Folk music. World music. Classical music. Not just guitar music. All these different perspectives will widely increase your imagination for guitar-playing, and imagination is the 1st step - you'll never be able to do what you can't imagine.

Next step is to play guitar with different people who are better than you, get tips from them, get them to teach you the chords to whatever they play and then struggle along trying to keep up with them. You'll be surprised how fast you'll start to get close to the pace and be able to second guess a few 'surprise' chord changes that might be thrown in here and there. There's nothing like pressure to bring out the best in your abilities.

Also, remember, whenever you're practising a song that's by a recording artist rather than yourself, play along to the record. You'll get so much better rhymthically, and get a feel for music. You should be able to work out obvious songs all the way through by playing along to records, eliminating the need for many internet tabs (so many of which are wildly inaccurate or incomplete), as your musical ear will quickly and dramatically improve. This is assuming your guitar is always tuned accurately. If you can tune up by ear each day rather than relying on an electronic device you'll develop a good sense of pitch and be able to hear and recognize each chord and note on a recording you want to imitate.

Finally, experiment with different tunings. See my DADGAD thread in this forum about a few possibilities. Search the internet for guides to guitar tunings. Being able to switch from one tuning to another at the drop of a hat will improve your playing repertoire tremendously. Of course you will have to learn chords for each tuning, but this takes no time. In open and many other altered tunings chords are so much easier than in standard tuning. Most use only 1 or 2 fingers. Shapes are always so simple. The vast majority of times you can strum all 6 strings at once whatever the chord.

Edited By simps on 1090054011
07-16-2004 08:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RyanWK12D3 Offline
Relics

simps Wrote:Listening to as many different styles of music would be a good start, and I don't just mean all the different genres of mainstream music. Go far beyond those restrictions. Folk music. World music. Classical music. Not just guitar music. All these different perspectives will widely increase your imagination for guitar-playing, and imagination is the 1st step - you'll never be able to do what you can't imagine.

Next step is to play guitar with different people who are better than you, get tips from them, get them to teach you the chords to whatever they play and then struggle along trying to keep up with them. You'll be surprised how fast you'll start to get close to the pace and be able to second guess a few 'surprise' chord changes that might be thrown in here and there. there's nothing like pressure to bring out the best in your abilities.

Also, remember, whenever you're practising a song that's by a recording artists rather than yourself, play along to the record rather than by yourself. You'll get so much better rhymthically, and get a feel for music. You should be able to work out obvious songs all the way through by playing along to records, eliminating the need for many internet tabs (so many of which are wildly inaccurate or incomplete), as your musical ear will quickly and dramatically improve. This is assuming your guitar is always tuned accurately. If you can tune up by ear each day rather than relying on an electronic device you'll develop a good sense of pitch and be able to hear and recognize each chord and note on a recording you want to imitate.

Finally, experiment with different tunings. See my DADGAD thread in this forum about a few possibilities. Search the internet for guides to guitar tunings. Being able to switch from one tuning to another at the drop of a hat will improve your playing repertoire tremendously. Of course you will have to learn chords for each tuning, but this takes no time. In open and many other altered tunings chords are so much easier than in standard tuning. Most use only 1 or 2 fingers. Shapes are always so simple. The vast majority of times you can strum all 6 strings at once whatever the chord.
thanks for the advice. much more help then what i thought i would have got.
07-16-2004 11:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wowser Offline
Pink Floyd

good advice from simps - thanks for helping people out!

Have you got into any aspects of 'world music' yerself, simps?
07-16-2004 12:59 PM
simps Offline
Division Bell

RyanWK12D3 Wrote:thanks for the advice. much more help then what i thought i would have got.
No problem. Happy to help. I am the guitar forum moderator after all. Part of my job description. But more significantly I just love guitar-playing so much that I love helping anyone to play.
07-22-2004 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mike7771 Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Try my site it might help rocker
08-28-2004 05:54 AM
wowser Offline
Pink Floyd

Mike7771 Wrote:
wowser Wrote:Why is that site all in Flash? seems pointless...
ANyways, i'm a big fan of this site, wjich helps me with guitar stuff: http://www.guitartips.addr.com/
wowser - There are plently in html and Java. Why not flash? (Besides I like Flash)

I know of the site you listed and its ok but it doesn't have nearly the amount of info as GKN nor is it as understandable. Every chord fingering shown is an open fingering. Thats great if you only play acoustic, but what about those of us who also play electric (bar chords have uses too). Not to mention scales, progression, lessons, eartraining and so on.

There are a bunch of really good sites on the net Cyberfret, Musiciansforum, Harmony Central, Mike Guitar Site (Different Mike) and others (all these sites listed are commercal sites so no links but GKN is not a commercal site, not even ads). Use the one you want, RyanWK12D3 asked a question I gave him an answer.

By the way saying the work I did for OVER A YEAR and put out for FREE is "pointless" is a bit rude. I'm not sure if this is your board or not (I see you have over six thousand posts) but if it is, bad form man :( you should be nicer to new members, especally those with something to offer.

Later
Dude, i'm so sorry. I wasn't saying the site was pointless, i am just not a Flash fan. I'd just woken up and tried your site and it didn't work with my Firefox browser (no plugin). SInce i have looked at it in IE and i realise both why it is in flash, and can appreciate the ammount of work you have put into it. I have already found the scale generator very useful and am checking out other areas of the site. I hope you can accept my apology and i witll retract the previous post.

As for guitartips, i think the site is designed for the acoustic guitarist basicially, and is great for diagnosing problems and such like.

i would also add Acoustic Guitar as another great site

Edited By wowser on 1093714632
08-28-2004 09:34 AM
Mike7771 Offline

No problem man. Really, I'm glad you like it. I jumped the gun a bit too, I shouldn't take things so personally.

Just so you know, I think what you guys are doing here is great too, I just found out this site existed a few days ago. Floyd is my favorite band ever. In fact, I started playing guitar a week after seeing the Momentary Laps of Reason reunion tour in 86-87. Gilmore has been my hero for about 18 years. Keep up the great work. If you ever need to know anything about music theory or guitar please drop me a line.

Mike

Edited By Mike7771 on 1093715202
08-28-2004 09:46 AM
wowser Offline
Pink Floyd

any advice on mic-ing up an acoustic to record to hard disk?
08-28-2004 09:49 AM
Mike7771 Offline

08-28-2004 10:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Big Grin Brazilian Band playing Another Brick in the Wall epicdivulgation 0 538 11-16-2012 01:42 PM
Last Post: epicdivulgation
  Playing Early Floyd on Guitar ASunInTheEast 10 2,581 02-01-2012 02:38 AM
Last Post: larryscott
  I'm new to guitar... learning guitar and chords FloydianGP 20 5,567 11-27-2008 01:44 AM
Last Post: pinkfloydfan1
  Dark Side guitar - That black guitar Gilmour uses Ranting Thespian 13 3,486 03-15-2006 04:52 AM
Last Post: pinkfloydfan1
  Washburn Guitar For sale - Good started guitar OG610 20 2,724 10-08-2005 10:39 AM
Last Post: pantera1221