Poll: self taught or lessons - how did you learn the guitar
yes
no
[Show Results]

self taught or lessons - how did you learn the guitar
Wheelz Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

gilmour girl your probably playing on a bad guitar. Good guitars usually won't hurt your finders as much.
03-12-2004 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barley Offline

Self taught, 9 years into it.

I think if you take lessons, you learn your teacher's habits and playing style.
03-12-2004 01:27 PM
gilmour_girl Offline

Well I'm starting off on acoustic and have borrowed friends Takemine, fingertips seemed to have toughened up but I think I play for too long at a time. Not just my fingertips, the muscles in my hand really hurt. How long did it take you guys to sound good enough to not be embarrassed to play in front of others? I play in front of my mum and she cries, don't know whether it's cos she's moved or horrified. :D
03-14-2004 05:36 AM
wowser Offline
Pink Floyd

gilmour_girl Wrote:Well I'm starting off on acoustic and have borrowed friends Takemine, fingertips seemed to have toughened up but I think I play for too long at a time. Not just my fingertips, the muscles in my hand really hurt. How long did it take you guys to sound good enough to not be embarrassed to play in front of others? I play in front of my mum and she cries, don't know whether it's cos she's moved or horrified. :D
Takamine - nice guitars! i think beginners think it takes a lot of strain to play (left hand fingering) but all you have to do is relax. your fingertips will hurt, though
03-14-2004 07:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pine floored Offline
A Saucerful of Secrets

A mixture of both. classical lessons at 14. I had a groovy girl (of maybe 19) teaching me. In 9 months I learnt Blackbird, and I Love Her ( Beatles)..Streets of London by Ralph MacTell and Greensleeves (typical!) But also Mood for Day by Steve Howe (Yes) and Horizons by Genesis.. and other stuff I forget :)
After that I bought an avon rose morris SG copy and started making weird noises in the garage until I went out and bought a Gibson SG at 17.
I'd say I was self taught as far as rock guitar goes . Im sure glad I had those classical lessons to turn me on to guitars tho.
03-15-2004 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wheelz Offline

gilmour_girl Wrote:Well I'm starting off on acoustic and have borrowed friends Takemine, fingertips seemed to have toughened up but I think I play for too long at a time. Not just my fingertips, the muscles in my hand really hurt. How long did it take you guys to sound good enough to not be embarrassed to play in front of others? I play in front of my mum and she cries, don't know whether it's cos she's moved or horrified. :D
Well one thing I notice many novice guitarists do is put too much stress on their fingers. Once you play for a while your finger tapping will get harder and you will need to tap lighter. But that's a good thing though. You elimnate stress from your fingers and you can move them more freely.
03-17-2004 04:12 PM
Wourm Offline
Obscured By Clouds

self taught, my dad handed me a guitar and i just picked it up

Edited By Wourm on 1079581345
03-17-2004 07:41 PM
simps Offline
Division Bell

Best of luck to gilmour_girl in learning to play.
03-18-2004 03:32 AM
gilmour_girl Offline

simps Wrote:Best of luck to gilmour_girl in learning to play.
Cheers simps and everyone else for their advice :;):
03-18-2004 05:51 AM
WOOF Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

:music:
I PLAYED A WASH TUB BASS THEN I BOUGHT AN ACOUSTIC. I TAUGHT MESLEF TO PLAY THE GEETAR. I WAS GIVEN Am, C G AND D. THAT WAS THREE YEARS AGO AND KNOW I CAN PLAY FINE N' DANDY.
LEARN YA SCALES AND AWAY YA GO, MATEY!

even the space in between has it's purpose
03-22-2004 08:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wanna learn to play Pink Floyd in five minutes? Jesse Bauer 3 757 07-21-2014 09:04 AM
Last Post: meagantrosclair
  Best site to learn and about Pink Floyd's Gear - Has All Of Dave's Sounds Lizzardking100 11 2,292 05-20-2009 10:48 PM
Last Post: JudgeWorm94
  I'm new to guitar... learning guitar and chords FloydianGP 20 5,321 11-27-2008 01:44 AM
Last Post: pinkfloydfan1
  Beginner guitarist? or want to learn play some Pink Floyd material? ajabbar01 2 1,607 11-04-2008 03:32 AM
Last Post: ajabbar01
  Any knows any good online lessons for learning guitar? boomer 5 1,746 11-04-2008 03:21 AM
Last Post: pinkfloydfan1