Some Folks Just Need Public Thrashing - on general principle!
whong Offline
Pink Floyd

Euthanasia, man......it needs to be accepted.
07-30-2006 10:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Space Cadet Offline
A Momentary Lapse of Reason

artie_fufkin Wrote:
FantasticFloyd Wrote:...This one time, on a busy street in Columbus, a hobo on the wall said something under his breath while watching me pass. Kept walking, but as the interaction registered in my mind I absentmindedly turned around, stopped, and said "huh?" He whistled and said that something again, but this time I only heard the word "skirt," at which point I made a beeline to my grandpa. My brains, sense of logic, and ability to reason just go to mush...
OMG, when I was 21, in the USMC, I went to visit the grandparents in Oakland. My great aunt lived in SF, so I took BART across the bay to see Chinatown and such (which I hadn't seen since I was about 4?). It was around lunchtime, and I was going to meet my auntie at about 4.

So there I was, thinking about all the stories I'd heard of gay guys there, and I didn't see them. OK, maybe a few, but they just weren't there. Just guys going to lunch together (always groups of 2-3) So I was walking around, and I noticed they were ALL AROUND me, just not wearing feather boas, wigs, spike heels, halter tops, and hot pants... THEY DRESSED LIKE THEY WERE STRAIGHT! What a shock! I had only ever seen gay guys who were FLAMBOYANT (or so I thought), so this was a culture shock for me.

But there was a "code word." One would say, "Dinnerrrr?" - and I would unconsciously look, then they'd ALL look and smile and - ugh! Freaked me out... It's never fun when this happens.

Oddly, I told my dad, and he said much the same thing happened to him in the '50s when he was in SF in his USMC uniform. When he realized that he wasn't being offered "JUST" a beer, he decided that wearing his uniform was actually attracting the attention. So that was why I was in my "civvies" that day; but they were still hitting on me. It only stands to reason - I was SO hot back then... :)

Anyway, and seriously, if you feel uncomfortable, DO ask your parents - they've almost surely had it happen to them. I am sure they can still identify, and can give some good advice. If you were my young'un, I'd tell you some other stories to let you know you're not alone, and your reaction isn't abnormal at all. The first time I heard "Dinnerrrrr?" - I didn't even know what he said, then it all happened in slow motion, and by the time I realized it, they were all looking at me, and I suddenly had to have - HAD to have - this confused, shocked, scared look on my face... Surely not as scary as a homeless guy who probably needs his "meds" pretty bad, but I know what you mean about the human nature of questions that scroll in your mind like the bottom right corner of The Terminator's vision:
"What did he just ask?"
"Was he talking to me?"
"What's going on?"
"Huh?"
...and all of these scroll by as you're turning your head, and - well, it's just icky when you realize what's going on.

You're normal. Anyone who says what you did was dumb has never been faced with this type of thing before.
Artie, that is exactly what it was like for me; your depiction was so accurate that I'd find it hard to believe if you said you didn't have a similar experience. Thanks for sharing your story. I guess my brains aren't so addled after all, but still, from this point onward I'm investing my efforts in not observing the skies, but rather, being aware of my surroundings ... for everyone's sake.

"Dinnerrrrrr?" :Oo: Shiverrrrrr.

And who's the fool who wears the crown?
07-31-2006 07:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Funky Dung Offline
The Final Cut

cevor Wrote:
DeltaOfVenus Wrote:
whong Wrote:Bikini and belly button ring, you say?? Why the hell don't I ever get the nice views when this crap happens?? Ugh!!!! Angry

About all I could say for this old bat earlier, is that she had "Early American Features"......she looked like a buffalo!
Did I mention she was three hundred pounds at least? She looked and acted like trailer trash Whong.
there's an image we didn't need, but, by the way, another pet peeve...please dress appropriately for your weight..I'm no average size guy, but, I know how to dress for it at least...
I hate that. Whenever I go to the beach, there are always women who are really chubby and they always wear skimpy bikinis. I guess they just think they're hot in their mind.

[Image: hitlergetzhit.gif]
07-31-2006 08:02 AM
Space Cadet Offline

Funky Dung Wrote:
cevor Wrote:
DeltaOfVenus Wrote:
whong Wrote:Bikini and belly button ring, you say?? Why the hell don't I ever get the nice views when this crap happens?? Ugh!!!! Angry

About all I could say for this old bat earlier, is that she had "Early American Features"......she looked like a buffalo!
Did I mention she was three hundred pounds at least? She looked and acted like trailer trash Whong.
there's an image we didn't need, but, by the way, another pet peeve...please dress appropriately for your weight..I'm no average size guy, but, I know how to dress for it at least...
I hate that. Whenever I go to the beach, there are always women who are really chubby and they always wear skimpy bikinis. I guess they just think they're hot in their mind.
So, on the contrary, while it is established that fat women in bikinis equate a near social taboo, it's perfectly acceptable for a chick (stick) of the famished variety to dress similarly if not more revealing? Personally I'd rather see neither, but you can't rightly expect people of a certain upwards body fat percentage to wear coats and boots into the water, now can you? Whatever the season, whatever the dress, it's hard to veil a mass of cellulite. And during the summer particularly, as bigger bodies are impacted more heavily (no pun intended) by the hot weather, they're going to shed clothing and you're going to see it, too. Unfortunately.

I know what you mean, though, believe me, I know exactly what it's like being exposed to this. Personally it saddens me so greatly that in place of disgust, I feel pity, and think to myself "well if they're comfortable with it that's a good thing ... isn't it?" Surely people who stand out so boldly could use whatever rise in self esteem can be derived from that. I'm not sure, and maybe it's my all-too-accepting nature, but I sincerely do love all people on some level and think everyone is entitled to happiness, however that may be achieved.

Wondering which category I fall under? Neither, and for two reasons; 1.) I don't often swim and 2.) I would likely be mistaken for a child if I did. Moral of the story? FF's a wee pansy, and probably always will be. Sorry to disappoint.

07-31-2006 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Funky Dung Offline
The Final Cut

FantasticFloyd Wrote:
Funky Dung Wrote:
cevor Wrote:
DeltaOfVenus Wrote:

So, on the contrary, while it is established that fat women in bikinis equate a near social taboo, it's perfectly acceptable for a chick (stick) of the famished variety to dress similarly if not more revealing? Personally I'd rather see neither, but you can't rightly expect people of a certain upwards body fat percentage to wear coats and boots into the water, now can you? Whatever the season, whatever the dress, it's hard to veil a mass of cellulite. And during the summer particularly, as bigger bodies are impacted more heavily (no pun intended) by the hot weather, they're going to shed clothing and you're going to see it, too. Unfortunately.

I know what you mean, though, believe me, I know exactly what it's like being exposed to this. Personally it saddens me so greatly that in place of disgust, I feel pity, and think to myself "well if they're comfortable with it that's a good thing ... isn't it?" Surely people who stand out so boldly could use whatever rise in self esteem can be derived from that. I'm not sure, and maybe it's my all-too-accepting nature, but I sincerely do love all people on some level and think everyone is entitled to happiness, however that may be achieved.

Wondering which category I fall under? Neither, and for two reasons; 1.) I don't often swim and 2.) I would likely be mistaken for a child if I did. Moral of the story? FF's a wee pansy, and probably always will be. Sorry to disappoint.
Well FF, I'll tell you this. You DEFINITELY think about what you're going to post thoroughly before you post it. Everytime I post something, you usually post something in reply that kind of makes me think about what I type. It's probably because I'm much younger than you. And I agree that obviously women with more body fat can't wear coats in the ocean but like I said it's probably because I'm younger than you and less experienced with these kind of things and to tell you the truth, I'm still going through puberty. So me being a much younger person I'm gonna think things like: "Man I love when hot chicks wear those sexy thongs". That's just me. It's just if I were in the mind of a woman with more body fat, I'd think to myself: "Do I really look good in this bikini? Are people really gonna check me out if I wear this?". IMO, the answer is no. But then again most women have different perspectives of how they look so I and no-one else have any control over that.

Also, I don't think you're a pansy at all. I for one love swimming and try to swim as much as I can, usually at the beach or at my own home pool.

Just my thoughts.

[Image: hitlergetzhit.gif]
07-31-2006 04:13 PM
Space Cadet Offline

:D How old do you think I am?

07-31-2006 05:14 PM
cevor Offline
Tarantula's Webmate.
Super Moderators

FantasticFloyd Wrote:
Funky Dung Wrote:
cevor Wrote:
DeltaOfVenus Wrote:

that's a brilliant, beautiful wee pansy, we wouldn't change a thing! :D

And now the final solution can be applied.
http://www.childhoodsend.net
http://www.themohocollective.com
http://www.markdoyleandthemaniacs.com
http://www.britfloyd.com
http://www.sublunarstudios.com
07-31-2006 05:23 PM
Space Cadet Offline

Even if I'm aloof like :music: ? Well alright then, and thank you kindly, fine friend. You're a wonderful bunch, truly you are!

07-31-2006 05:51 PM
artie_fufkin Offline
Wish You Were Here

FantasticFloyd Wrote:Artie, that is exactly what it was like for me; your depiction was so accurate that I'd find it hard to believe if you said you didn't have a similar experience. Thanks for sharing your story. I guess my brains aren't so addled after all, but still, from this point onward I'm investing my efforts in not observing the skies, but rather, being aware of my surroundings ... for everyone's sake.

"Dinnerrrrrr?" :Oo: Shiverrrrrr.
Heh, yes... You'll be JUST FINE. I became a lot more aware after my little "episode," and I became a bit more educated - as well as a little jaded.
07-31-2006 06:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  General Unpopular Opinions Kimbers Sheep 53 2,484 06-25-2014 04:39 PM
Last Post: artisan121
  A Public Service Announcement: Spambots Kimbers Sheep 0 518 01-06-2011 11:39 AM
Last Post: Kimbers Sheep
  Top 10 albums as voted for by the great Perth public Floydy 16 1,232 08-23-2010 10:20 PM
Last Post: emonerd826
  Top 40 vocalists as voted for by the great Perth public. Floydy 12 931 08-04-2010 01:49 AM
Last Post: forreverendgreen
  A General Statement Regarding Posting Etiquette cevor 5 557 11-12-2009 08:40 PM
Last Post: Morglor9