How do you rate the albums?
Skol Offline
Ummagumma

3 - Radio KAOS, the subject matter is too far out and ridiculous and it's far too 80's.
Fave song - The Tide is Turning

2 - Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, very good. I love the concept but it does lack somewhat in the musical aspect.
Fave Song - The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking

1 - Amused to Death, BRILLIANT! One of the most underrated albums ever produced. Roger at his finest. It's musically very sound and the lyrics are just typical Roger.
Fave Song - Tough choice but i'll say The Bravery of Being Out Of Range
08-16-2005 05:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scream Thy Last Scream Offline
Banned

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking..... When dissected carefully, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking becomes a fascinating conceptual voyage into the workings of the human psyche. As an abstract peering into the intricate functions of the subconscious, Waters' first solo album involves numerous dream sequences that both figuratively and symbolically unravel his struggle with marriage, fidelity, commitment, and age at the height of a midlife crisis. While the songs (titled by the times in which Waters experiences each dream) seem to lack in musical fluidity at certain points, they make up for it with ingenious symbolism and his brilliant use of stream of consciousness within a subconscious realm. Outside from the deep but sometimes patchy narrative framework, the music slightly lacks in rhythm or hooks, except for the title track that includes some attractive guitar playing via Eric Clapton. David Sanborn's saxophone is another attribute, adding some life to "Go Fishing" and "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking." But it's truly the imagery and the visual design of the album that is front and center, since the importance lies in what Waters is trying to get across to the audience, decorated somewhat casually by his singing and the music. With Pink Floyd, the marriage of Waters' concepts and ideas with the talented musicianship of the rest of the band presented a complete masterpiece in both thought and music, while his solo efforts lean more toward the conceptual aspects of his work. With this in mind, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking continues to showcase Waters' unprecedented knack of addressing his darkest thoughts and conceptions in a most extraordinary fashion.

Fav Song Go Fishing

Radio K.A.O.S......... Roger Waters' second solo album is yet another conceptual narrative, one that tells the tale of a wheelchair-bound boy who tries to halt the threat of nuclear war through his use of the HAM radio. The story line isn't held together as tightly as his first album, and the whole fable seems a little too far fetched, even when taken lightly. Unlike The Pros and Cons album, the music here overrides the narrative, but not by much, highlighted by the upbeat pop single "Radio Waves." The last tune, entitled "The Tide Is Turning," is the only other focal point of the album, an honest-sounding ballad that relinquishes a glimmer of hope in an otherwise unpromising world. Waters' anti-war theme is stretched full across the album, but the music itself struggles to capture any attention, bogged down by half-whispers and flat-lined melodies that are only slightly resuscitated from time to time with some trumpet and saxophone. The novelty of Los Angeles disc jockey Jim Ladd wears off quickly, as he was obviously used to add some lightheartedness to the album's pessimistic undertones. Waters' use of imagery and thematic depth are absent from Radio K.A.O.S., leaving his superficial spiel with barely any sustenance, which in turn hinders the moral of the album so that it fails to reach its fruition. While both The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking and Amused to Death convey his talented use of concept, imagination, and lyrical mastery, this album seems to be nothing more than a fictional tale with a blatantly apparent message.

Fav Song-----Radio Waves

Amused To Death.......... Amused to Death is a solid album both conceptually and musically, showcasing Waters as an artist who, like his work with Pink Floyd, conveys his thoughts and ideals with pinpoint accuracy so that they are engraved within his audience's mind. With this album, Waters touches heavily on the dangers of capitalism, the insensitivity of the human race, the ridiculousness of war, and the onslaught of mindless entertainment that encroaches on mankind on a day-to-day basis. Fitting all these aspects into 14 songs is a task in itself, but accomplishing this task alongside music that is forceful and appealing is extremely difficult, and still Waters succeeds in doing this throughout the duration of the album. "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" is a moving spoken intro from Alf Razzell, a former member of Britain's Royal Fusiliers. A stab at the false sense of security that lies within religion is dealt with on the powerful "What God Wants, Pt. 1," and the cowardice of the world's leaders is addressed in "The Bravery of Being Out of Range," one of the albums most blatant tracks. Guest guitarist Jeff Beck rises to the occasion on a number of songs here, and both Rita Coolidge and Don Henley fill in behind and beside Waters on a couple of the longer tunes. Ending with the title track, a song that sums up the whole of the album with it's subtle yet hard-hitting demeanor, Waters proves that he can still reveal his conceptual ideas with pristine clarity, only on Amused to Death, the music is as equally entertaining and effective.

Fav Song(s)----Every One Of Them

hehehehehehe Cool
08-16-2005 09:37 AM
Love In Spite Of Traffic Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Pros And Cons - I didn't like it at first but it grew on me a lot. Eric's playing is fantastic and Roger's vocals a really cool to. It's classic Rog.

Radio K.A.O.S. - I loved this record from the first time I heard it. Great music, great vocals, great lyrics, and great production. Just overall good tunes and I love the positive vibe of the whole album.

Amused To Death - Greatest piece of art ever made. To call it a "record" wouldn't come close to doing it justice. Roger proved to me he really is a genius with ATD. Start to finish it is perfection.
08-16-2005 10:22 AM
pointmeatthesky Offline
Banned

AndersonCouncill Wrote:When I first got KAOS I was so excited! I loved Amused To Death and Pros And Cons Of Hitchiking and then when I popped it in my CDplayer and Radio Waves started I felt like my hero had finally bent over for the establishment, which isn't true when you think about it. I think that happened on Wish You Were Here (not saying its bad, just overly commercial friendly)
you know andersoncouncil, you should be nicer to KAOS fans, cause you know how it feels when your torn apart for liking AMLOR.
08-16-2005 08:10 PM
AndersonCouncill Offline
Banned

Oh, I know. Its just that I was so pissed when I heard Radio KAOS (and you have to understand also that before hearing it I heard Amused To Death and Pros And Cons, so I was expecting something THAT good)!
08-16-2005 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndersonCouncill Offline
Banned

Scream Thy Last Scream Wrote:The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking..... When dissected carefully, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking becomes a fascinating conceptual voyage into the workings of the human psyche. As an abstract peering into the intricate functions of the subconscious, Waters' first solo album involves numerous dream sequences that both figuratively and symbolically unravel his struggle with marriage, fidelity, commitment, and age at the height of a midlife crisis. While the songs (titled by the times in which Waters experiences each dream) seem to lack in musical fluidity at certain points, they make up for it with ingenious symbolism and his brilliant use of stream of consciousness within a subconscious realm. Outside from the deep but sometimes patchy narrative framework, the music slightly lacks in rhythm or hooks, except for the title track that includes some attractive guitar playing via Eric Clapton. David Sanborn's saxophone is another attribute, adding some life to "Go Fishing" and "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking." But it's truly the imagery and the visual design of the album that is front and center, since the importance lies in what Waters is trying to get across to the audience, decorated somewhat casually by his singing and the music. With Pink Floyd, the marriage of Waters' concepts and ideas with the talented musicianship of the rest of the band presented a complete masterpiece in both thought and music, while his solo efforts lean more toward the conceptual aspects of his work. With this in mind, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking continues to showcase Waters' unprecedented knack of addressing his darkest thoughts and conceptions in a most extraordinary fashion.

Fav Song Go Fishing

Radio K.A.O.S......... Roger Waters' second solo album is yet another conceptual narrative, one that tells the tale of a wheelchair-bound boy who tries to halt the threat of nuclear war through his use of the HAM radio. The story line isn't held together as tightly as his first album, and the whole fable seems a little too far fetched, even when taken lightly. Unlike The Pros and Cons album, the music here overrides the narrative, but not by much, highlighted by the upbeat pop single "Radio Waves." The last tune, entitled "The Tide Is Turning," is the only other focal point of the album, an honest-sounding ballad that relinquishes a glimmer of hope in an otherwise unpromising world. Waters' anti-war theme is stretched full across the album, but the music itself struggles to capture any attention, bogged down by half-whispers and flat-lined melodies that are only slightly resuscitated from time to time with some trumpet and saxophone. The novelty of Los Angeles disc jockey Jim Ladd wears off quickly, as he was obviously used to add some lightheartedness to the album's pessimistic undertones. Waters' use of imagery and thematic depth are absent from Radio K.A.O.S., leaving his superficial spiel with barely any sustenance, which in turn hinders the moral of the album so that it fails to reach its fruition. While both The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking and Amused to Death convey his talented use of concept, imagination, and lyrical mastery, this album seems to be nothing more than a fictional tale with a blatantly apparent message.

Fav Song-----Radio Waves

Amused To Death.......... Amused to Death is a solid album both conceptually and musically, showcasing Waters as an artist who, like his work with Pink Floyd, conveys his thoughts and ideals with pinpoint accuracy so that they are engraved within his audience's mind. With this album, Waters touches heavily on the dangers of capitalism, the insensitivity of the human race, the ridiculousness of war, and the onslaught of mindless entertainment that encroaches on mankind on a day-to-day basis. Fitting all these aspects into 14 songs is a task in itself, but accomplishing this task alongside music that is forceful and appealing is extremely difficult, and still Waters succeeds in doing this throughout the duration of the album. "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" is a moving spoken intro from Alf Razzell, a former member of Britain's Royal Fusiliers. A stab at the false sense of security that lies within religion is dealt with on the powerful "What God Wants, Pt. 1," and the cowardice of the world's leaders is addressed in "The Bravery of Being Out of Range," one of the albums most blatant tracks. Guest guitarist Jeff Beck rises to the occasion on a number of songs here, and both Rita Coolidge and Don Henley fill in behind and beside Waters on a couple of the longer tunes. Ending with the title track, a song that sums up the whole of the album with it's subtle yet hard-hitting demeanor, Waters proves that he can still reveal his conceptual ideas with pristine clarity, only on Amused to Death, the music is as equally entertaining and effective.

hehehehehehe Cool
I love you (in a non-homoerotic sense). :D

That was awesome, Scream.
08-16-2005 09:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alternate Gilmour Offline
Atom Heart Mother

Scream Thy Last Scream Wrote:The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking..... When dissected carefully, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking becomes a fascinating conceptual voyage into the workings of the human psyche. As an abstract peering into the intricate functions of the subconscious, Waters' first solo album involves numerous dream sequences that both figuratively and symbolically unravel his struggle with marriage, fidelity, commitment, and age at the height of a midlife crisis. While the songs (titled by the times in which Waters experiences each dream) seem to lack in musical fluidity at certain points, they make up for it with ingenious symbolism and his brilliant use of stream of consciousness within a subconscious realm. Outside from the deep but sometimes patchy narrative framework, the music slightly lacks in rhythm or hooks, except for the title track that includes some attractive guitar playing via Eric Clapton. David Sanborn's saxophone is another attribute, adding some life to "Go Fishing" and "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking." But it's truly the imagery and the visual design of the album that is front and center, since the importance lies in what Waters is trying to get across to the audience, decorated somewhat casually by his singing and the music. With Pink Floyd, the marriage of Waters' concepts and ideas with the talented musicianship of the rest of the band presented a complete masterpiece in both thought and music, while his solo efforts lean more toward the conceptual aspects of his work. With this in mind, The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking continues to showcase Waters' unprecedented knack of addressing his darkest thoughts and conceptions in a most extraordinary fashion.

Fav Song Go Fishing

Fav Song-----Radio Waves

hehehehehehe Cool
Can you spell plagiarism?

There are 2 dead giveaways here.
1) I know you have a rudimentary vocabulary and these reviews are too well written for you.

2) I know you go ballistic even over the smallest criticism of Waters and had you actually read these reviews, you would have detected some. The big-words may have confused you though.

Of course, there are also these links to the guy that really did the work. Michael DeGagne (a professional music reviewer)

Pros and Cons:
http://www.livedaily.com/artists....02.html

Radio Kaos:
http://www.livedaily.com/artists....03.html

Amused To Death:
http://www.livedaily.com/artists....30.html
08-17-2005 05:46 AM
Banned

Jumpy Wrote:Scream was merely compiling reviews of Roger's works in one handy post. I find this to be another tiresome, yet predictable attack by A-G on Scream.

I find that A-G persistent attacks of others here reveal a lack of self-esteem. I really wish something could be done, but every board has its troll.
jumpy, these reviews were taking from the net, hence the he he he at the end of the post. at the same time, old grumpy had the idea to go trawl the net like i did (as i knew he would). this action goes to prove your point. i have a stalker. does it bother me....no. it is clear by his actions here that i am not the one with the problem. i could have written a lenghty review of each album, but, as you all know, it would have been totally biased towards roger.

i would suggest for this stalker to go out and find himself a life, instead of chasing an unknown person across a forum board, trying to bring that person down.

now, agnostic gollywog. are you satisfied in adding another pathetic and galling chapter at this juncture in your miserable posting on this board?

oh.....and by the way....did it take you long???? im chuffed that someone cares about me so much :D

and another btw.....i can take slack from anyone, but a smallminded little person doesnt matter one iota to me. as i can see, you had a rich mummy and daddy who spoilt you. i pity them. and actually, i got all the reviews from one site....amg. so you were wrong.

:D :laugh:

Edited By Scream Thy Last Scream on 1124300502
08-17-2005 09:34 AM
Alternate Gilmour Offline
Atom Heart Mother

My,my.....more musings from Beavis and his appendage Butt-head.
08-17-2005 11:45 AM
Banned

Alternate Gilmour Wrote:My,my.....more musings from Beavis and his appendage Butt-head.
ehhh..he.he...he he he he...eh. well... hehe.. yeah....he he... hey beavis...he he heh hehehehe..,... get a load of lonely ......he he lol .he he...

well, duh....maaaan....he he.... look at his name... he he he he hehehehe......

cornholiooooooooo

Edited By Scream Thy Last Scream on 1124310038
08-17-2005 12:20 PM