Sounds of Echoes and Paris RAH 30th May - my review
azza200 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

Sitting in the Royal Albert Hall is a very speical experience knowing your sitting in a room where legends have played all through the decades Clapton The Who etc and now David Gilmour im still in amazment at what i saw last night was just incredible lasers lights strobe effects wow. Before the band came on Harvey Goldsmith came out to say no phones or flash cameras if you are to take pics make sure the flash is off but i saw loads of flashing cameras during the show.

The setlist

First half: Breathe/Time/Breathe (Reprise), Castellorizon, On An Island, The Blue, Red Sky At Night, This Heaven, Then I Close My Eyes, Smile, Take A Breath, A Pocketful Of Stones, Where We Start.

Second half: Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Fat Old Sun, Arnold Layne, Coming Back To Life, High Hopes, The Great Gig In The Sky, Echoes.

Encores: Wish You Were Here, Find The Cost Of Freedom, Comfortably Numb

The show started with the famous heartbeats of Speak to me and when Breathe started it was amazing then it went into Time where Steve Di did some brilliant drumming on the intro David played some excellents solos on Time after Breathe.
David welcomed everyone to show and said the first half going to be all from On an Island.
David introduced all of the band after a song which i cant remember at this time but he introduced everyone then he mentioned the special guest i shouted out Nick Mason and David replied "Not him tonight"
Crosby and Nash where there for the songs OAI The Blue and Shine On ill admit if you are not keen on the studio album as the live versions beat them 20 times over. On an Island started with Crosby and Nash on backing vocals the solos David played last night were just amazing and so powerful. The Blue started with a single blue laser which slowly moved during the song. The song i was least looking forward to was Red Sky at Night with David on sax but after seeing it played live i actually like it now andRobert Wyatt came on to reprise his role from the album which was really nice to see.
One of the songs i was looking forward to see from the first half was Take A Breath and boy the lightshow on this was awsome when it got to the middle bit the whole of the Royal Albert Hall was strobing then David came back in with his guitar which was so powerful and rocking and was David at his best the first half ended with Where we start and was a nice track to end with very mellow and bluesy and then David said there was gonna be a 20 min break.

The break ended and the 2nd set kicking off with a brillant version of Shine On played to perfection Phil Manzeneras guitar on this is so haunting but also very powerful Crosby and Nash again on vocals the song ended with a standing oviation. I thought David was going to play Wearing the Inside out but didnt he played Fat Old Sun which was just exceptional halfway through the song David changed from acostic guitar to his white telecaster for the solo on FOS which was an awe inspiring solo i loved every second of it then they went straight into Arnold Layne which was quailty as ever Rick sure can sing had most people singing along i was i will admit as this is the closest i am ever going to get to seeing Pink Floyd the song ending with most of auidence standing up clapping.

Then straight into Coming Back to Life and some people before it started shouted out "One Slip" but i then shouted out "Sorrow On The Turning Away" but then as David was playing around with his footpedals one of his children said "go on daddy" as i think Polly and his children were by the mixing desk i think.
Coming Back to Life was beautiful as ever and a really classy good solo i was thinking it cant get any better then this and it did High Hopes was just brilliant and played really beautifully. Then came the special guest of the evening Mica Paris to sing on Great Gig was nice but not surprise guest in the same league as David Bowie but none the less it was a good performance from her shame it wasnt Sam Brown.

The one song i really wanted to see was of course Echoes and boy it sure does live up to its reviews one of the best performances ever the light show was awe inspiring the lasers were cleaver and mezmirising when the started up them 23 mins or so went past so quick i want them back im so glad i got see the that song with my own eyes and Echoes is my favorite Floyd song ever now it ended with a 5 min or so standing oviation they came back on stage for the final encore of Wish and Comfortably Numb during Wish you was here you could hear a pindrop as most people were singing along to David. it ended and David said "time for one more and you all know what it is" and the band went straight into Comfortably Numb and was another tight performance of the song as ever the final solo though was awsome back of your neck hair stand on edge it was that good.
The show was brilliant and what a place to see a band live the Royal Albert Hall it had an awsome atmosphere through the whole show you get your moneys worth with David for sure can Rogers tour beat this well he dont have Echoes which takes some beating for sure.

Heres some pictures i got i couldnt get any during the show as they all came out naff so i didnt bother in the end sorry

I got pictures of my program and the free cd/wallet they had on every seat

A Sign all around the Royal Albert Hall
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums....e22.jpg

My Program
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums....e23.jpg

The cd sticker and wallet which were free
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums....e24.jpg

Sticker Cd
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums....e25.jpg

Hope you enjoy reading my review from Tuesday show.

azza200 :)

Edited By azza200 on 1149172672

06-01-2006 06:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wings on the Pig Offline
Pink Floyd

I did. Absolutely Incredible. I was there too. I remember you shouting out!! lol. Where were you sitting. I was in one of the boxes.

Edited By pinkfloydmadchris on 1149183087

R. I. P Syd Barrett (06/01/46-07/07/06)
R. I. P Rick Wright (28/07/43-15/09/08)

[Image: PFOMemberoftheYear.jpg]

"We don't want no trouble, we just want the right to be different. That's all." - pita
06-01-2006 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mabewa Offline
Wish You Were Here

Thank you, Azza! I really appreciate the detail you put into that post. Very nice review.
06-01-2006 05:06 PM
floydian72 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

im listening to the show last night 5/31. gilmour still sounds amazing, only thing he sounded bad is jay leno show lol. and he wasnt bad just a little rough voice
06-01-2006 05:42 PM
floydian72 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

ill upload time from last nights show give me a minute.
06-01-2006 05:47 PM
floydian72 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

here is time from last nights show with mason. the end of the song is on a different file so its only most of it
Time
06-01-2006 06:43 PM
azza200 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

pinkfloydmadchris Wrote:I did. Absolutely Incredible. I was there too. I remember you shouting out!! lol. Where were you sitting. I was in one of the boxes.
i was sitting in the stalls by door 9 mate :)

06-02-2006 02:38 AM
Wings on the Pig Offline
Pink Floyd

azza200 Wrote:
pinkfloydmadchris Wrote:I did. Absolutely Incredible. I was there too. I remember you shouting out!! lol. Where were you sitting. I was in one of the boxes.
Cool. I was in the Second Tier Door 9 as well!!

R. I. P Syd Barrett (06/01/46-07/07/06)
R. I. P Rick Wright (28/07/43-15/09/08)

[Image: PFOMemberoftheYear.jpg]

"We don't want no trouble, we just want the right to be different. That's all." - pita
06-02-2006 09:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Relic Offline
Ummagumma

I was at the 30th show too and it has got to be the greatest spectacle I've ever seen in my life. I doubt anything I see from now on will ever top that night. It was truly magical. I still can't believe I was there and witnessed the greatest guitarist doing what he does best.

That night will live long in my memory.
06-02-2006 03:56 PM
azza200 Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

pinkfloydmadchris Wrote:
azza200 Wrote:
Cool. I was in the Second Tier Door 9 as well!!
cool probably near me as i was in seats 135-136 i had a Darkside of the moon t-shirt on so i guess we might of walked past each other. ill post a picture of me up to see if you might of saw me. :)

06-04-2006 04:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  On An Island Tour Bootleg - Royal Albert Hall May 30th 2006 Relic 5 845 11-13-2006 01:09 AM
Last Post: Dyolf
  Mail on Sunday Review jcm 5 518 06-06-2006 12:30 PM
Last Post: Sir Frankie Crisp
  Island review - Gilmours weakest effort? Henr1k 50 2,297 04-30-2006 09:53 AM
Last Post: Quincy
  Spare tickets for RAH (30th) joejoe 4 431 04-26-2006 12:55 AM
Last Post: joejoe
  ticket for sale, paris olympia nushky 0 147 03-15-2006 05:51 AM
Last Post: nushky