favorite Rick keyboard solos?
mabewa Offline
Wish You Were Here

What's your favorite Rick keyboard solo (including piano, organ and synth)?

I personally love a lot of his synth solos. Some of my favorites are the long solo in Dogs, Run Like Hell. Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Welcome to the Machine also have some incredible synth lead work. No-one else, and I mean no-one, can play the synth like that.

For later stuff, I also quite like the synth leads in certain Division Bell songs, especially Keep Talking and Wearing the Inside Out.

Edited By mabewa on 1167535411
12-30-2006 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sjmcd Offline
Banned

I'd have to say the opening solo for Shine On You Crazy Diamond. His organ work on Echoes deserves an honourable mention too.
12-31-2006 03:35 AM
Funky Dung Offline
The Final Cut

The entire middle section of Dogs. I'm trying to figure out exactly what type of synthesizers he used in that section, so maybe someday I could replicate it. Also, certain parts of Welcome to the Machine are unbelievable. Echoes has great organ work, Great Gig has beautiful piano parts. Keep Talking & Wearing The Inside Out are great as well. In fact, there's one part in the latter where it sounds like a Mini-Moog is being used.

[Image: hitlergetzhit.gif]
12-31-2006 08:42 AM
whong Offline
Pink Floyd

Tons of moments. The intro to "Sheep", his cocktail hour piano noodlings in "San Tropez", his piano interplay with Gilmour's guitar on "Marooned"(breathtaking!), the stately piano solo on "Us And Them", his keys throughout "Mudmen", his atmospheric synth work which opens "Shine On, pt 6" and the mournful closing of "Pt. 9", on "Cymbaline" his piano makes the song, and who can forget his wicked piano jams on the 'Live In Pompeii' version of "Saucerful Of Secrets"? "Great Gig" is probably Rick's crowning achievement with Floyd.

There's plenty more great moments of Rick's to add, but it can be safely said that the man's just so underappreciated it's ridiculous. He has a very specific style that's all his own, and goes a very long way in defining Pink Floyd's distinctive sound, just as importantly as Gilmour's guitar...... just far less acknowledged.

Edited By whong on 1167665502
01-01-2007 07:29 AM
flaming_pie Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

Rick never gets enough recognition as far as I'm concerned. But then again, I favour him, so he'll never get enough, haha :love:

- The entire Any Colour You Like section
- The middle section of Dogs
- All his work in Echoes
- The opening of Summer '68

And my personal favorite: Mudmen (sends chills down my spine and tears into my eyes every time!)

:)

but what you've got means such a lot to me
Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett - January 6, 1946 - July 7, 2006
Richard William Wright - July 28, 1943 - September 15, 2008
01-01-2007 04:45 PM
flaming_pie Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

whong Wrote:Tons of moments. The intro to "Sheep", his cocktail hour piano noodlings in "San Tropez", his piano interplay with Gilmour's guitar on "Marooned"(breathtaking!), the stately piano solo on "Us And Them", his keys throughout "Mudmen", his atmospheric synth work which opens "Shine On, pt 6" and the mournful closing of "Pt. 9", on "Cymbaline" his piano makes the song, and who can forget his wicked piano jams on the 'Live In Pompeii' version of "Saucerful Of Secrets"? "Great Gig" is probably Rick's crowning achievement with Floyd.

There's plenty more great moments of Rick's to add, but it can be safely said that the man's just so underappreciated it's ridiculous. He has a very specific style that's all his own, and goes a very long way in defining Pink Floyd's distinctive sound, just as importantly as Gilmour's guitar...... just far less acknowledged.
THANK YOU :D
My friends all favour Roger, and always laugh when I talk about Rick...

but what you've got means such a lot to me
Roger Keith "Syd" Barrett - January 6, 1946 - July 7, 2006
Richard William Wright - July 28, 1943 - September 15, 2008
01-01-2007 04:47 PM
mabewa Offline
Wish You Were Here

Quote:it can be safely said that the man's just so underappreciated it's ridiculous. He has a very specific style that's all his own, and goes a very long way in defining Pink Floyd's distinctive sound, just as importantly as Gilmour's guitar...... just far less acknowledged.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it all up in a nice, concise little paragraph.
01-01-2007 06:19 PM
stir_of_echoes Offline
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

whong Wrote:...it can be safely said that the man's just so underappreciated it's ridiculous. He has a very specific style that's all his own, and goes a very long way in defining Pink Floyd's distinctive sound, just as importantly as Gilmour's guitar...... just far less acknowledged.
yes, i wholeheartedly agree.
01-02-2007 08:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dyolf Away
Pink Floyd

Run Like Hell on "Is There Anybody Out There?" - amazing Cool

Come and join us at http://www.floydians.org and continue the PFO legacy.
01-18-2007 02:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gilmour's Angst Away
Dark Side of the Moon

mabewa Wrote:
Quote:it can be safely said that the man's just so underappreciated it's ridiculous. He has a very specific style that's all his own, and goes a very long way in defining Pink Floyd's distinctive sound, just as importantly as Gilmour's guitar...... just far less acknowledged.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it all up in a nice, concise little paragraph.
Indeed it does. Some have to understand that if Rick Wright was not with Pink Floyd, they would've not got to where they are today. His sound IS Pink Floyd. Am I right?

My Last.fm
My RYM

Not who I used to be.

Do You Realize??
01-27-2007 06:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best at Keyboard/Synthesizer - Best Keyboard/Synthesizer player beatlesboy64 80 15,608 03-19-2014 03:59 PM
Last Post: belaparte
  best Rick lead vocal in Floyd - vote for Rick's vocal, not the song! mabewa 27 6,746 10-19-2011 08:40 PM
Last Post: donaldkevin
  amazing rick wright keyboard solo russian 5 1,989 08-31-2011 03:44 AM
Last Post: Campino
  Richard Wright Keyboard Tabs - Keyboard Sites PinkThePig 6 3,724 07-15-2011 07:21 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Favorite solo by Rick ? Guitarist5260 25 2,565 08-25-2010 08:08 AM
Last Post: Arno Sluismans