Pink Floyd: Saucerful Of Secrets
Syd Barrett: The Madcap Laughs
Syd Barrett: Barrett
[Show Results]

Favourite Syd-era album?
Jintzey Offline
Pigs Have Flown
Administrators

Maybe he could get you a great deal for your cell phone, not that it would ever compensate for Roger Waters tickets.

PinkFloydChat.net
If you've studied your Floyd properly, you'd know that pigs could fly. -- Les Claypool
~ Pigs HAVE Flown ~
07-08-2002 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simps Offline
Division Bell

Strong show of suppport for Piper already, I see, after just one day. It is one of the great albums ever.
07-08-2002 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jintzey Offline
Pigs Have Flown
Administrators

A great album indeed. Had this been a Syd Barrett site and not a Pink Floyd site, you might expect to see a little more support for his solo works. Most PF fans are probably not that familiar with the solo works of any of the band members, so would more likely choose PF albums in this poll.

PinkFloydChat.net
If you've studied your Floyd properly, you'd know that pigs could fly. -- Les Claypool
~ Pigs HAVE Flown ~
07-09-2002 01:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simps Offline
Division Bell

I'm sure that's true, Jintzey. I get the impression PF fans dislike the idea of any of the members working on solo projects and don't buy them. None of them has had a solo album that sold many copies. It's strange. There aren't many true Beatles fans who don't have the solo albums - or at the very least the Lennon ones. They should get Harrison's brilliant All Things Must Pass, by the way. Rolling Stones fans hate solo projects by any of the Stones as well, hence the commercial failure of Jagger's excellent new album.

Syd's solo albums, or at least Barrett (the one with Dominoes on it) featured Wright on keyboards and some extra playing from Gilmour, who was also producer, so in a way it's a lot less of a solo album that the other PF solo albums. In fact it's almost more of a PF album than Final Cut or Momentary Lapse when the band was fragmented.
07-09-2002 02:57 AM
Freddie Offline
More

no fucking way. thses people above you mention were nothing after they left their bands. they had a few decent tunes but thats it. as for barret, his stuff in pink floyd was bad enough, his solo stuff was even worse. except for dominos.
07-09-2002 06:43 AM
simps Offline
Division Bell

Dominoes is a great simple song. Beautiful sense of melody and timing. Syd wrote much better songs than that though. Only a few of his songs were ever actually poor.

You say the Beatles were nothing after they left the band? Harrison didn't really find his true talent until he left the overbearing shadow of McCartney. All Things Must Pass is brilliant. As are Lennon's first two solo albums, most of his solo singles and his Live In Toronto release.
07-09-2002 07:57 AM
Freddie Offline
More

not convinced. i preferred john in the beatles...and don'tget me started on paul. george was respectable enough.
07-09-2002 07:59 AM
simps Offline
Division Bell

Wings were patchy - that's all I'll say about them now. McCartney's song in response to September 11th was pretty bad, I thought, as was the usually excellent Neil Young's. Lennon reached his songwriting peak with Imagine, I think, although I concede he was far more consistent during his time with the Beatles than after the split. Harrison rules.
07-09-2002 08:08 AM
simps Offline
Division Bell

Ah, I see someone gave the thumbs-up to Saucerful Of Secrets. I guess that was Freddie. A respectable album, certainly, but I feel it fails to surprise and astound while still flowing effortlessly from start to finish as well as Piper.

Two great songs from Saucerful..., Set The Controls, and the title track are both greatly improved when played live on Ummagumma and the Pompei film than on the original album. Set The Controls at the Waters concert was amazing.
07-09-2002 08:11 AM
Freddie Offline
More

arnyold lane was played just before oasis came on at finsbury.
its a good tune, just cannae stand barrets voice
07-11-2002 06:01 AM