Roger and God philosophy
bak2life Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

wowser Wrote:I like the idea of there being a God - it gives a purpose.
Exactly. Purpose in life. Jesus wasn't only a nice guy, he created this Earth, and everything on it. You talk about him like he is just a normal guy. He created you and me, and everything else. He was thinking about you when he was creating Earth. How did we all appear on this Earth, how was everything made? Did we all suddenly just appear out of nowhere. Think how complicated everything is in this Earth. The sky, ocean, the human body (lungs, heart beating, our sight, etc). How did all this get created. Some people say dumb things like the "Big Bang Theory," and that makes no sense. I'll tell you the Good News. Jesus paid the penalty for you and me on the cross, and died to save us. He died for you and me. Nothing in the Bible is a tale or exaggerated story, it's all fact. All those things really happened. There is no limit to his power, he is God. He can raise the dead.

Edited By bak2life on 1093548802
08-26-2004 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wowser Offline
Pink Floyd

you kinda ignored everything i said, there.

The Big Bang theory is FACT.

I like the idea that something created that Big Bang, something more spiritual, but a big bang, all the same.

You seriously can't think that everything just APPEARED and then say that teh Big Bang is crap, can you?

Jesus was just a guy who died on the cross, but he has been glorified as something more than what he was
08-26-2004 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Oobleck42 Offline
The Wall

bak2life Wrote:Like I said Oobleck, if God appeared in front of you right now and raised someone from the dead right in front of you, you would believe in him. It isn't that easy. This is the true test here on Earth. Heaven is a holy place, and not just anyone is allowed into it. You have to be worthy to go into heavenYou have to believe no matter if it makes since or not. I guarantee you and most people here feel lost, like they have no purpose in life. God will give you purpose. At one point you will rock bottom and you won't have anywhere to turn. Just turn to God and pray. Because no matter what you have done in the past, will all be wiped away with a clean slate.
Believe it or not I used to believe exactly as you do. I was raised in a very religious family. I considered myself a Christian until I was about 20 years old (I'm 24 now). I prayed before every meal and before I went to bed every night. I am now an atheist.

You are very wrong about me feeling lost, though. Ever since I shook off the dogmas that I grew up with I feel free and hopeful. My only regret is that I did not break free sooner. I firmly believe that there is no God, Heaven, or Hell other than the ones we create for ourselves here on Earth or in our minds. I have many reasons for this, which I'd be more than happy to share with you, but I won't waste space on this message board going into that. If you're really interested feel free to PM me. But I would like to be respected for my beliefs, just as you would like to be respected for yours. I don't want anybdoy to try to convert me, but I am open for intelligent debate.
08-26-2004 12:32 PM
bak2life Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

Oobleck42 Wrote:
bak2life Wrote:Like I said Oobleck, if God appeared in front of you right now and raised someone from the dead right in front of you, you would believe in him. It isn't that easy. This is the true test here on Earth. Heaven is a holy place, and not just anyone is allowed into it. You have to be worthy to go into heavenYou have to believe no matter if it makes since or not. I guarantee you and most people here feel lost, like they have no purpose in life. God will give you purpose. At one point you will rock bottom and you won't have anywhere to turn. Just turn to God and pray. Because no matter what you have done in the past, will all be wiped away with a clean slate.
Believe it or not I used to believe exactly as you do. I was raised in a very religious family. I considered myself a Christian until I was about 20 years old (I'm 24 now). I prayed before every meal and before I went to bed every night. I am now an atheist.

You are very wrong about me feeling lost, though. Ever since I shook off the dogmas that I grew up with I feel free and hopeful. My only regret is that I did not break free sooner. I firmly believe that there is no God, Heaven, or Hell other than the ones we create for ourselves here on Earth or in our minds. I have many reasons for this, which I'd be more than happy to share with you, but I won't waste space on this message board going into that. If you're really interested feel free to PM me. But I would like to be respected for my beliefs, just as you would like to be respected for yours. I don't want anybdoy to try to convert me, but I am open for intelligent debate.
That's fine. I respect all of your decisions. No way would I try to force anyone to do anything they truly didn't want to do. It really is your decision. I just wanted to put it out there because I wanted to. We aren't robots, we were created with our own minds, and we can do whatever we want. I would really like to hear what happened to you Oobleck. I am hoping that someone will get the answer they needed out of all this. I think there is somebody right now on this board reading this hearing the "Good News" for the first time. And I pray they can finally find meaning in life. And if anyone has any questions on how to know God, or how to find purpose, they can PM me or IM me anytime. Imagine someone being saved for all of eternity because they stumbled onto a Pink Floyd message board, and learned the true meaning of life.
08-26-2004 01:05 PM
slygirl Offline
Animals

i think Roger hit the nail right on the head with that one!!! i feel like i was born and thrown into the world because God is a bit of a sadistic. and that im being played around by him as if i was a character in the PC "reality" game THE SIMS. :upside:

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. ~~
>>Unknown
08-26-2004 01:16 PM
slygirl Offline
Animals

whats ur opinion on this guys......my ex-father-in-law is a seriously devout Catholic and told me because i was baptized as a baby, no matter what i did in life, adultery, murder, id still automatically go to heaven. i asked him what about my brothers, who werent baptized, he said they were gonna go to hell, no matter what.
not only was i so f*****g pissed that he would say something so damn ignorant, but that he said that dumb s**t about my brothers. i hated religion and Catholicism most of my life (all the hypocracy and b.s.) but that comment sealed my hate for organized religions.
anyways, do u think i overreactted? cause i sure didnt!! Angry Devil

>>Unknown
08-26-2004 01:24 PM
Pink Prism Offline
Ummagumma

Lets stop this discussion. You really can't tell people to think different about religion and politics, the only thing that may happen is that you will get angry with each other.

Edited By Pink Prism on 1093585175
08-26-2004 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Oobleck42 Offline
The Wall

bak2life Wrote:
Oobleck42 Wrote:

That's fine. I respect all of your decisions. No way would I try to force anyone to do anything they truly didn't want to do. It really is your decision. I just wanted to put it out there because I wanted to. We aren't robots, we were created with our own minds, and we can do whatever we want. I would really like to hear what happened to you Oobleck. I am hoping that someone will get the answer they needed out of all this. I think there is somebody right now on this board reading this hearing the "Good News" for the first time. And I pray they can finally find meaning in life. And if anyone has any questions on how to know God, or how to find purpose, they can PM me or IM me anytime. Imagine someone being saved for all of eternity because they stumbled onto a Pink Floyd message board, and learned the true meaning of life.
Here are a few of my squabbles with Christianity (at least the version of it that I was raised in) -

1. The concept of faith. Christianity teaches that faith is a virtue, and that we don't have to understand God in order to believe him. This sounds very innocent and nice at first, but what it really means in practice is that people are encouraged to believe something that has no supporting evidence. This, to me, is wrong. In order to truly learn and grow a person must ask questions. They must have doubts. By using this doctrine of "childlike faith" Christianity (and other religions) exempt themselves from any kind of logical debate. This is because if it were in fact subjected to logical debate it would fall apart in no time.

2. Conversion. In order to be a true Christian you must convert other people. It is not enough to be happy with your own beliefs... a true Christian will spend every waking hour trying to "spread the good news" to "lost souls". I find this attitude very condescending. In many cases it turns people into bigots.

3. The Bible. Many Christians believe that the Bible is 100% God's word. In order to believe this I would have to believe that...

a) the world was created in seven days
b) men are superior to women
c) people used to live to be nearly 1000 years old
d) the earth is only about 6000 years old
e) people coexisted with dinosaurs and fire breathing sea dragons (see the book of Job)

...and many other ridiculous things that any logical person would not believe.
08-26-2004 01:39 PM
slygirl Offline
Animals

Pink Prism Wrote:Lets stop this discussion. You really can't tell people to think different about religion and politics, the only thing that may happen is that you will be angry with each other.
yea, perhaps you r right. i guess ill PM or IM oobleck and bak2life as suggested.
BTW.....what is a ELP sig?? what is ELP?? i saw wowser say it. dont know what that is.

>>Unknown
08-26-2004 01:40 PM
bak2life Offline
Dark Side of the Moon

Oobleck42 Wrote:Here are a few of my squabbles with Christianity (at least the version of it that I was raised in) -

1. The concept of faith. Christianity teaches that faith is a virtue, and that we don't have to understand God in order to believe him. This sounds very innocent and nice at first, but what it really means in practice is that people are encouraged to believe something that has no supporting evidence. This, to me, is wrong. In order to truly learn and grow a person must ask questions. They must have doubts. By using this doctrine of "childlike faith" Christianity (and other religions) exempt themselves from any kind of logical debate. This is because if it were in fact subjected to logical debate it would fall apart in no time.

2. Conversion. In order to be a true Christian you must convert other people. It is not enough to be happy with your own beliefs... a true Christian will spend every waking hour trying to "spread the good news" to "lost souls". I find this attitude very condescending. In many cases it turns people into bigots.

3. The Bible. Many Christians believe that the Bible is 100% God's word. In order to believe this I would have to believe that...

a) the world was created in seven days
b) men are superior to women
c) people used to live to be nearly 1000 years old
d) the earth is only about 6000 years old
e) people coexisted with dinosaurs and fire breathing sea dragons (see the book of Job)

...and many other ridiculous things that any logical person would not believe.
You don't have to convert other people to be a Christian. We don't spend every waking moment trying to convert people. It's not the main goal. The main goal is to accept Jesus as your Savior, know he died on the cross to save you, rose on the third day, and confess your sins and ask for forgiveness. That's it, that's the main point of the Bible. It's a love letter from God to us basically asking us to trust in him. You don't have to be a super Christian or whatever they call it. That's nonsense if someone tells you that. This is really the first time in my life I have even tried to help lead other people. But it's something on my heart, that I WANTED to do. Why is it so hard to believe the world was created in 7 days? God can do anything. Is rising from the dead not enough to prove he could create the world in 7 days?
08-26-2004 01:53 PM